Platform Software - HMI System - Development Lead Engineer
- GE Energy Connections
- Posted 7/26/2017 4:59:56 PM
- Job Function: Engineering/Technology
- Business Segment: Energy Connections Grid Solutions
Location(s): United Kingdom; Stafford
GE is the world's Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
This role has key objectives of designing, developing, and standardising world-class physical HMI Solution Architectures; supported by the design, development and deployment of Minimum-Human Involvement - Maximum Automation Optimised Tools and Utilities for HVDC Control & Protection VSC and LCC Systems’ HMI Application generation.
• Analyze and Validate all proposed ‘Series6’ Control System Architecture Designs from the ‘HMI’ Sub-System perspective; contributing design knowledge and experience to their optimization wherever possible
• Bring hands-on knowledge and experience of designing solutions under the formal IEC-61850 Substation Automation Standards; with particular focus on all relevant HMI Sub-System aspects
• Ensure that key resilience and functional aspects of the HMI Solution Architectures proposed under IEC-61850 for deployment onto HVDC Converter Control VSC and LCC Format Systems support multi-layer (Station, Bipole, Pole Level) functionality, and are resilient to failure via suitable redundancy mechanisms (in both hardware & software) with maximum recovery performance to minimize Operator Blindness, and to ensure zero loss of data at all times
• Bring hands-on knowledge and experience of designing suitable Remote Access Solutions (placing Cybersecurity considerations at their core) as part of IEC-61850 Compliant Substation Architectures, feeding this directly into the overall ‘Series6’ Control System Architecture Design Evolutions
• Deep-dive into the present GE HMI Products (considering both possible/optimal physical architectures and HMI Application generation specific aspects) in order to comprehensively understand the ‘Build’ Workflows and Tools/Utilities required by each; with particular focus on to their optimization support of a Minimum-Human Involvement / Maximum Automation Capabilities (‘Automated Build & Configuration’) Strategy
• Create & nurture effective-voice relationships with both GE HMI Product Lines and/or (in-time) with other selected 3rd Party HMI Product OEMs , in order to design, propose, lobby and champion the creation and adoption of all improvements identified in the existing HMI Product Application Programming Interface(s) and Build/Configuration Tools & Utilities; with particular focus on in-house Desktop Application Development (in Visual C#.Net, most likely) of new/additional Build/Configuration Tools & Utilities, designed to exploit any/all relevant HMI Product API extensibilities to the fullest extent possible in furthering the Minimum-Human Involvement / Maximum Automation Capability Strategy
• Work closely with Controls Platform Continuous Improvement Group to ensure that their Automated Testing Environment (ATE) Solutions are supported to the fullest extent (aiming for zero loss of present capabilities) when used with either GE HMI Product as part of a ‘Series6’ Control System based HVDC Converter Solution.
• Work closely with the Delivery Projects HMI Team Lead to develop both new specific (and/or to enhance existing) GE HMI Product Build/Configuration Tools & Utilities (in Visual C#.Net, most likely); in order to facilitate highly automated implementation of the new HMI Application Reference Standard (designed, developed, implemented, and Projects compliance -enforced by the Delivery Projects HMI Team) on all applicable future Delivery Projects
• Work closely with the Delivery Projects HMI Team to develop and optimize other Tools & Utilities forming a flexible ‘HMI Integrated Development Environment’ Suite; providing other Delivery Project HMI Application Development, Testing, and Training Support Capabilities (i.e. ‘HMI Response Simulation’ facility for use when the actual ‘Series6’ Control System Solution for the project is unavailable, and a basic web-based ‘Self-Building HMI GUI’ facility for use when the actual ‘HMI’ System Solution for the project is unavailable)
Significant hands-on experience as a Software Engineer developing Human-Machine Interface (HMI) Solutions involving both HMI Hardware Architectures, and HMI Software System & Application Level designs and implementations; for use in a Project Delivery Environment; utilising modern-day COTS HMI/SCADA Products (e.g. Wonderware System Platform/InTouch, GE Cimplicity/PowerLink Connect9, COPA Data Zenon, CODRA Panorama E2 – or other similar modern-day Object-Oriented Approach Product Platforms)
Extensive practical experience of working to the IEC-61850 Substation Automation Standards (particularly in relation to – but not limited to – the ‘HMI’ Sub-System specific aspects); with experience of design and implementation of Logical Node Definitions and IED Capability Utilisations being of particular interest.
Experience of developing Desktop Applications (Tools/Utilities) in Visual C#.Net and/or other modern languages (e.g. Python) in order to exploit COTS HMI/SCADA Product Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) to provide both build/configuration and functional extensibility, and to specifically improve automated build & configuration capabilities beyond the standard ‘out-of-the-box’ COTS Product facilities offered for typical Delivery Project HMI Application development.
Proven experience in a similar Technical Lead role (Self-Starting/Self-Motivating) spanning both Development and Delivery Project Environments.
Proven track record of a structured approach to knowledge transfer to peers and collaborators.
Familiarity with modern COTS HMI/SCADA Products – their features, drawbacks, known constraints, their build/configuration tools & utilities, and their optimised workflows for HMI Application Development.
Re-Usable Object-Oriented Component Software Design, Implementation, and Library Management in the context of HMI Application design, development, and testing.
HMI Software Solution Design and hands-on development under the IEC-61850 Substation Standards.
Desktop Applications (Tools/Utilities) Development in Visual C#.Net and/or other modern languages (e.g. Python); use with COTS Product API to promote an overall ‘Automated Build & Configuration’ Strategy.
SW Release management; release testing and notes, version control.
Test Driven Design techniques (e.g. CI/Continuous Integration, Unit Testing, automated regression testing).
Software development and software project delivery processes.
Requirement management; requirement capture, RQM tools Change control and issues tracking (e.g. CCB, Jira).
Knowledge and experience in Agile development practices (e.g. Certified Scrum Master).
Knowledge of HVDC Knowledge of Power Electronics Control System Design
Familiarity with modern Model-Based Design techniques (i.e. Matlab-Simulink)
Software architecture and modelling (e.g. UML, SysML), Data Structure modelling and manipulation (i.e. via XML)
Knowledge and experience in safety critical software development practices (e.g. IEC 61508, IEC 62304)
Strong advocate of best engineering practices and adherence to company values
Sense of urgency and delivery
Ability to coordinate & collaborate with multi-discipline teams
Self-Motivating & inspiring to colleagues
Project management skills & experience
Sound level of communication skills
Convincing and Influencing
Shaping and Driving
Right first time culture & attitude
Locations: United Kingdom; Stafford