Lead Systems Engineer – HVDC Research
- GE Energy Connections
- Posted 5/8/2017 3:25:40 PM
- Job Function: Engineering/Technology
- Business Segment: Energy Connections Grid Solutions
Location(s): United Kingdom; Stafford
GE is the world's Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
To lead and support execution of engineering activities related to the System Design & Verification within Research and Technology Dept. The team are involved in New Technology Introduction (NTI) activity which centers on application of novel design & system control methods to HVDC system. These include traditional LCC & VSC system configurations as well as emerging multi terminal configuration & DC grids. You will be responsible for project execution in the area of multi-terminal HVDC systems.
• Be actively involved in new developments in HVDC technologies, implementing control and protection solutions and creating / delivering new analysis techniques and system study tools in order to provide optimized system study solutions.
• Provide technical leadership to the team of engineers on research project.
• Identify opportunities for intellectual property capture and risks of third party intellectual property infringement
• Plan, monitor and report project progress to programme manager and head of department.
• Analyse, define and communicate all technical documentation and internal standards related to requirements for systems in order to ensure the required level of technical knowledge within the business unit.
• Propose improvements, prescribe, plan and control the system activities in order to satisfy future customer needs.
• Represent the business in external events by publishing technical papers
• Define scope, manage and control quality of external consultation projects
• Comply with Quality Procedures, work instructions and Processes in ebook and on site
• Apply yourself towards improving your technical knowledge base and keep abreast of relevant methodologies and technological advancement within the Company.
This position is with research department of the company. The position requires high level of innovation and ability to adapt quickly to changing research landscape. The candidate will be confident at technical presentations/documentation and is likely to have technical patents, and/or publications.
• Master of Science (or equivalent) in Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, or Computer Science
• PhD degree (or equivalent) in related subject is preferred
• Proven work experience in the related field
• Knowledge of control and protection strategy for HVDC
• Knowledge in the Line Commutation Converters (LCC) and Voltage source Converters(VSC)
• Knowledge of system tools like PSCAD, PSS/E, RTDS and MATLAB etc.
• Understanding of functional characteristics of power system
• High level of communication skills, both written and verbal, and experienced in creating and presenting technical reports;
• Problem analysis and resolution skills
• Knowledge of IP concepts
• Proven leadership skills
• Knowledgeable and experienced in the standards and practical application of HVDC aspects
• Understanding of interactions between HVDC systems the AC network with detailed knowledge of types of system studies and modelling ability is required
• Experience in the area of protection co-ordination studies
• Knowledge of overall HVDC station equipment
• Experience in developing and managing external relationships
Locations: United Kingdom; Stafford