Location(s): United States; California; Menlo Park
About Us: GE is the world's Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry. GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Role Summary: The Managing Director, Investments is a key member of the senior leadership team of GE Ventures; his/her position is critical in contributing to the generation of Industrial IoT investment pipeline and thought leadership, the development and expansion of investment themes, identification and execution of investments and proactive management of portfolio companies including facilitation strategic relationships with GE Business Units.
He/she will also be responsible engaging with the GE Business Units and mentoring junior team members.
• Lead deal teams in deploying new GE investments towards creating a diversified portfolio of IoT companies and collaborations relevant to GE
• Play a key role representing GE in external forums and industry trade associations
• Coach and mentor a team of investment of investment professionals including but not limited to giving direction, providing feedback and focus resources on most impactful opportunities
• Represent GE Ventures to external community including building a VC network, maintain ongoing communication with investors, represent GE Ventures at conferences, roundtables and other applicable activities
• Support and advance the development of IoT investment themes, establishing networks of venture, entrepreneurial and academic resources to lead GE Ventures into new areas
• Monitor financial and operational conditions and industry dynamics of assigned portfolio companies and understand investment capital structure and shareholder rights, lead semi-annual reviews with GE senior management and lead follow-on investments
• Represent GE for board and shareholder fiduciary duties and proactively work with the management and board of portfolio companies to execute growth and operational improvement strategies in order to maximize value of investments
• Develop strong relationships across the GE business unit P&Ls and provide knowledge sharing as part of GEV value add service. Assist business units with market and business case analyses to determine alignment of new opportunities to strategy
• Convene startups and business units to develop mutually beneficial strategic technology and commercial agreements decreasing time to market; project manage execution of engagement;
• Coordinate a broad group of internal GE business resources (a business P&Ls, GRC, GE Corporate) and external resources around deals and commercial development
• Help establish program of diversified venture investments and GE collaborations
• Present final investment/exit decision to ICOMM and/or Growth Board
Qualifications/Requirements: • Bachelor's degree
• Minimum 10 years of work experience in venture capital, private equity, strategy consulting at top tier firm or investment banking.
• Domain expertise in energy, data driven business models and IoT, private equity and/or venture capital, strategy and business development
• Strong understanding of the industrial tech and energy venture capital ecosystem
• Demonstrated ability to orchestrate all diligence resources including internal and external parties.
• Experience leading full due diligence processes of industrial internet and energy equity investments including
• In-depth knowledge of the venture capital terms and financing documents.
• Extensive network of contacts in the venture community
• Ability to multitask while maintaining attention to detail
• Ability synthesize complex issues and communicate into simple message
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite including: Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
Desired Characteristics: • MBA, MS, or PhD preferred
• Venture capitalist experience a plus, particularly in target regions
• Experience with strategic planning, deal structure, and finance preferred
• Experience in mergers and acquisitions and partnership creation preferred
• Executive operating experience at venture backed start-up companies
• Strong project and relationship management skills
• Excellent technical and analytical skills
• Strong executive presence and experience in dealing with C-level suite executives
• Ability to analyze, interpret, draw conclusions, and implement solutions on a variety of complex issues
• Ability to organize, prioritize, and manage multiple projects simultaneously with appropriate sense of urgency
• Ability to learn new industries, customers and technologies and translate value to customers
• Passion for knowledge, drive for excellence, demonstrated leadership capabilities, well developed executive presence and communication skills
We are in the process of transitioning to an improved job application system and in the interim we are operating with two systems. Have your Job ID ready (from the email you received when you applied) to log in and check your application status.
Click the appropriate button. If you don't know your job ID, you can still check your status: use both buttons.