GE is the world’s Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
It is not about your career… it is not about your job title… it is about who you are…. It is about the impact you are going to make on the world. You want to go into uncharted waters… do things that haven’t been done to make yours and someone else's life better. GE has been doing that for decades! We will continue to do so! We are the world’s digital industrial company.
GE’s Power Conversion business applies the science and systems of power conversion to help drive the electrification of the world’s energy infrastructure by designing and delivering advanced motor, drive and control technologies that evolve today’s industrial processes for a cleaner, more productive future. Serving specialized sectors such as energy, marine, oil and gas, renewables and industry, through customized solutions and advanced technologies, GE Power Conversion partners with customers to maximize efficiency. To learn more, please visit: www.gepowerconversion.com
GE is diversity. We aim to employ the worlds’ brightest minds to help us create an unlimited source of ideas and opportunities. We believe in hiring talented people of varied backgrounds, experiences and styles - people like you!
The Power Conversion, Rotating Machines Engineering Team is responsible for the design and engineering of world class Megawatt level generators/Motors and delivering optimized solutions in line with the requirements from the business verticals.
• Acting as a subject matter expert within the team in the field of Rotor Dynamics and Lateral Analysis. Using their expertise, they will not only perform analysis of this type but will also assist in the training and development of this capability within the team. Qualifications/Requirements:
• Responsible for reviewing the detailed mechanical engineering analysis and design on all components required for large, custom rotating equipment. Calculations include stress analysis, torsional analysis, rotor dynamic analysis, thermal analysis, hydrodynamic bearing analysis, etc. This will require using in-house design software, finite element software and hand calculations.
• Provide leadership in advancing the competitive position of GE's generator products through continuous innovation and improvement of product designs, rationalisation/standardisation and design processes.
• Must be able to mentor junior engineers and support the Mechanical Engineering leader with training.
• Plan, coordinate, and provide technical and project guidance to engineering teams.
• Provide technical support to CAD design, manufacturing, and test personnel.
• Participate and contribute towards design practice work, share knowledge & assist in aligning the local team’s competency with that of the global teams.
• Train the Mechanical Team in researched, building and delivering internal training and developing standards.
• Understand the Global Technology & Engineering goals and objectives and help with local adoption.
• Participate in new software and new supplier qualification.
• Carry out measurement plan/campaign (without limitation of skills) in order to get feedback from the test bench/field and work in closed loop with theory & software.
• Work with Product Leadership teams to increase product performance to give a competitive advantage.
• Give inputs/specifications to the ITO Risk Assessment process when requested, driving subsequent mitigation plan if required.
• Read technical specifications and provide technical comment and clarification.
• Participate in writing Engineering Design Standards & Guidance.
• Support Commercial Operation and Mechanical Engineers at both ITO and OTR phase.
• Support Project & fulfillment managers at OTR phase.
• Work with Design Team and ensure that the proper vibrations / mechanical loading performance of the design is considered.
• Support Test Bench for specific tests programs execution and provide inputs in case of issue.
• Hands on experience on bump test, vibration measurements, results interpretation and vibration issue resolution techniques.
• Support Service Team at commissioning and after and provide inputs in case of issue.
• Participate in the global product Standardization/rationalization strategy
• Mechanical Engineering degree (or equivalent knowledge and experience) or higher.
• Proven Experience in the field of Vibration or Noise or Rotor Dynamics or combinations mentioned technical areas.
• Proven experience in Large Rotating Machines technical engineering environment.
• In depth knowledge of rotating machines products, their engineering challenges and manufacturing processes.
• Demonstrated experience performing engineering calculations and design reviews.
• Ability to read and interpret complex customer’s specifications, engineering drawings and documentation
• Experience with mechanical design tools such as Creo, ANSYS, Dyrobes ,MathCAD, etc,
• Familiarity with the application of various industry standards such as: NEMA, IEC, and API
• Ability to communicate effectively across the business/customers in English
Applications from job seekers who require sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. However, non-EU/EEA candidates may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified, experienced and skilled EU/EEA candidate is available to take up the post, as the employing body is unlikely, in these circumstances, to satisfy the Resident Labour Market Test. For further information please visit the UK Border Agency website
Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) clearance is required and must be maintained for this role. Please note that in the event that BPSS clearance cannot be obtained, you may not be eligible for the role and/or any offer of employment may be withdrawn on grounds of national security. Please see the link below for further details regarding the requirements for BPSS clearance
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/61212/hmg-personnel-security-controls.pdf Desired Characteristics:
• Methodical worker with focus on attention to detail. Locations:
• Structured in approach and well organized.
• Motivating and influencing change agent, driven, self-starter who reacts well under pressure.
• Ability to manage multiple tasks in a challenging and fast moving environment.
• Knowledge and experience in using SAP and Teamcentre
• Computer literate in Word processing, Excel and Powerpoint applications.
• Flexible approach, willing to work extended hours if required and travel as and when required.
• Good written and oral skills- experience of leading technical discussions with customers.
• Proven ability to work in a dynamic team environment
• Proven ability to set and meet aggressive goals
• Demonstrated leadership skills
• Flexible, motivated and driven to improve
United Kingdom; Rugby