GE is the world’s Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
It is not about your career… it is not about your job title… it is about who you are…. It is about the impact you are going to make on the world. You want to go into uncharted waters… do things that haven’t been done to make yours and someone else's life better. GE has been doing that for decades! We will continue to do so! We are the world’s digital industrial company.
GE’s Power Conversion business applies the science and systems of power conversion to help drive the electrification of the world’s energy infrastructure by designing and delivering advanced motor, drive and control technologies that evolve today’s industrial processes for a cleaner, more productive future. Serving specialized sectors such as energy, marine, oil and gas, renewables and industry, through customized solutions and advanced technologies, GE Power Conversion partners with customers to maximize efficiency. To learn more, please visit: www.gepowerconversion.com
GE is diversity. We aim to employ the worlds’ brightest minds to help us create an unlimited source of ideas and opportunities. We believe in hiring talented people of varied backgrounds, experiences and styles - people like you!
The Power Conversion Rotating Machines Engineering Team is responsible for the design and engineering of electrical machines such as Megawatt level generators and motors and delivering optimized solutions in line with the requirements from the Verticals.
• To design, engineer and produce layouts, detail drawings and specifications of new and cost reduction products and special product builds (often from minimum data). The work will be in line with Engineering practice and procedure, with the minimum of supervision for all aspects of the product, coordinating information at the appropriate level for successful completion of the project. Qualifications/Requirements:
• To carry out engineering calculations on components to determine suitability and lifespan.
• To be responsible for checking most of their own work, together with any work undertaken for the Job Holder by others in the department
• To investigate and action change requests.
• To interpret and apply relevant national/international standards and requirement of the Quality Procedures Manual in accordance with ISO 9000.
• To be able to use the CAD equipment in an efficient manner, including specialist 3D layout and design layout software.
• To be fully conversant with the Engineering systems and procedures and assist in the development of new engineering systems.
• To be responsible for the creation of product structures in a suitable manner for entry to the Company computer and PLM/ERP system.
• To carry out training of non-CAD Draughts persons on CAD.
• To provide a technical answering service to other departments and outside suppliers.
• To organize the manufacture of prototype and pre-production components. This will normally involve the liaison with outside suppliers.
• To carry out any other task compatible with the nature of job as directed by the Chief Engineer/Engineering Manager/Drawing Office Manager
• Engineering degree or equivalent knowledge and experience
• Project management experience.
• Proven experience in technical engineering environment or time served apprenticeship
• Knowledge of rotating machines products, their engineering challenges and manufacturing processes.
• Proven experience in CAD packages such as Creo 2 etc.
• Proven experience in working with manufacturing team
• An understanding of scheduling and planning and its importance.
• Experienced in engineering design processes and tools preferred.
• Experience of BOM creation and BOM structures.
• Good understanding of Geometrical Dimensioning and Tolerancing as per international standards such as ASME/ANSI
• Ability to communicate effectively across the business/customers in English
Applications from job seekers who require sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. However, non-EU/EEA candidates may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified, experienced and skilled EU/EEA candidate is available to take up the post, as the employing body is unlikely, in these circumstances, to satisfy the Resident Labour Market Test. For further information please visit the UK Border Agency website
Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) clearance is required and must be maintained for this role. Please note that in the event that BPSS clearance cannot be obtained, you may not be eligible for the role and/or any offer of employment may be withdrawn on grounds of national security. Please see the link below for further details regarding the requirements for BPSS clearance
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/61212/hmg-personnel-security-controls.pdf Desired Characteristics:
• Good communicator at all levels, formally and informally. Locations:
• Influencing skills working in a global matrix organization.
• Motivating and influencing change agent, driven, self-starter who reacts well under pressure.
• Ability to manage multiple tasks in a challenging and fast moving environment.
• Structured in approach and well organized.
• Computer literate in Microsoft Office 2010+ applications.
• Flexible approach, willing to work extended hours and travel as and when required.
• Strong influencing / negotiating skills.
United Kingdom; Rugby