GE is the world's Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
GE’s Power Conversion business applies the science and systems of power conversion to help drive the electrification of the world’s energy infrastructure by designing and delivering advanced motor, drive and control technologies that evolve today’s industrial processes for a cleaner, more productive future. Serving specialized sectors such as energy, marine, oil and gas, renewables and industry, through customized solutions and advanced technologies, GE Power Conversion partners with customers to maximize efficiency. To learn more, please visit: www.gepowerconversion.com
GE is diversity. We aim to employ the worlds’ brightest minds to help us create an unlimited source of ideas and opportunities. We believe in hiring talented people of varied backgrounds, experiences and styles - people like you! Role Summary:
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a talented and experienced Lead Power Electronics Drive Systems Engineer to join GE Power Conversion’s Systems and Projects Platform Engineering team as a Lead Drive Systems Engineer. The Lead Power Electronics Drive Systems Engineer will be responsible for leading and performing Low voltage and medium voltage power electronics drive systems design tasks on System projects. Essential Responsibilities:
• Specify, design and document drive Systems (power electronics converters & machines) technical solutions.
• Undertake modelling, analysis and simulation of power electronic converter & electrical machine drive systems, using standard industrial design tools such as: Matlab, Simulink, PLECS, PSpice, Mathcad, CFD, etc.
• Development of power electronic drive systems analytical, modelling tools for systems with a large degree of MW range power electronic converter systems. These will include power electronic inverter thermal studies, EMC, harmonic studies, common mode studies, rating evaluation, performance evaluation and optimization etc.
• Specify, design and document power electronic converter technical solutions to meet specific application requirements.
• Verification, validation, Testing of low voltage & medium voltage drive systems,
• Application of engineering standards and development of design practices.
• Ensuring drive system designs comply with the relevant health & safety, International standards and class society rules.
• Support attainment of on-time delivery, cost and quality targets on projects.
• Provide technical assistance to tendering, test and commissioning teams.
• Liaison with customers, suppliers and sub-contractors. Qualifications/Requirements:
• Minimum of a Degree or equivalent in electrical engineering or higher, Masters or PhD in relevant field.
• Design experience in power electronics or similar field.
• Knowledge of power electronics converter and electrical machines control methods.
• Skilled user of power electronics design tools such as Mathcad, MATLAB, Simulink, PLECS etc.
• Willing to travel within UK and overseas for short term working.
• Able to achieve security clearance.
Applications from job seekers who require sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. However, non-EU/EEA candidates may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified, experienced and skilled EU/EEA candidate is available to take up the post, as the employing body is unlikely, in these circumstances, to satisfy the Resident Labour Market Test. For further information please visit the UK Border Agency website
Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) clearance is required and must be maintained for this role. Please note that in the event that BPSS clearance cannot be obtained, you may not be eligible for the role and/or any offer of employment may be withdrawn on grounds of national security. Please see the link below for further details regarding the requirements for BPSS clearance
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/61212/hmg-personnel-security-controls.pdf Desired Characteristics:
• Knowledge of power electronic converter control systems design and analysis.
• Ability to multi-task on a variety of projects, adapts to changing circumstances, able to deal with ambiguity making positive use of the opportunities it presents.
• Able to make prompt, clear decisions. Probes for further information or greater understanding of a problem and produces workable solutions.
• Excellent communication skills; listens, consults others and communicates proactively.
• Knowledge of drive control systems.
• Strong report writing skills; writes clearly and succinctly to meet the needs and understanding of the intended audience.
• Strong personal organisational skills; manages time effectively, monitors performance against deadlines and milestones, works productively in a pressurised environment.
• Upholds ethics and values, demonstrates integrity.
• Learns from successes and failures, seeking team and/or customer feedback.
• Willing to work extended hours at critical times.
• Full UK driving licence is desirable but not essential.
• Focuses on customer needs and satisfaction, consistently achieves project goals.
• Able to establish good relationships with customers and colleagues, able to build effective networks inside and outside of the organisation. Adapts interpersonal style to
• suit different people and/or situations.
• SAP and Teamcenter (PLM) experience is desirable but not essential. Locations:
United Kingdom; Rugby