Staff Data Scientist – Big Data & Discovery
- GE Oil & Gas
- Posted 5/8/2017 3:34:23 PM
- Job Function: Digital Technology
- Business Segment: Oil & Gas Digital
Location(s): India; Bangalore
GE is the world's Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
At GE Oil & Gas Digital, we are creating technology and solutions to enable social, mobile, analytical and cloud capabilities for the Industrial Internet. The Industrial Internet is an open, global network that connects people, data and machines. It’s about making infrastructure more intelligent and advancing the industries critical to the world we live in. At GE, we believe it’s about the future of industry—energy, healthcare, transportation, manufacturing. It’s about making the world work better. Stay connected with us. Join our Talent Community!
• GE - APM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?
• GE - Digital: https://www.youtube.com/user/industrialinternet
• GE is an equal opportunity Employer : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co0qkWRqTdM
As the Staff Data Scientist – Big Data & Discovery, you will focus on developing impact and innovative big data analytics products for the O&G industry. You will be responsible for designing analytics for products, leverage strong machine learning expertise to develop new analytics for driving growth in asset, application & industry coverage and lead engagements with external/internal customers. The candidate is also expected to mentor other engineers in analytics methods.
As the Staff Data Scientist, you will:
• Work in cross-functional teams to translate big-data algorithms into commercially viable products and services.
• Develop self-learning big-data systems that can autocorrect and auto-learn patterns based on multiple data sources
• Contribute to technical teams in development, deployment and application of applied analytics, predictive analytics and prescriptive analytics capabilities.
• Work with the engineering team to incorporate your analyses and solutions, including working with the visualization team to create intuitive UI and rich UX stories. Partner with data engineers on data quality assessment, data cleansing and data analytics efforts
• Gather and analyze large data sources, devise innovative data science solutions and build prototypes to enable development of high-performance algorithms in scalable, product-ready code.
• Build semantic and graph models for knowledge extraction, discovery and storage and enable bot-apis
• Initiate and propose unique and promising modeling features, develop new and innovative algorithms and technologies, pursuing patents where appropriate
• Stay current on published state-of-the-art algorithms and competing technologies.
• Contribute to the development of software and data delivery platforms that are service-oriented with reusable components across teams (multiple teams) that can be orchestrated together into different methods for different businesses.
• Research and evaluate emerging technology, industry and market trends to assist in project development and/or operational support activities to for multiple teams or complex scenarios.
• MS Degree in Computer Science or in “STEM” Majors (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math)
• A minimum of 5 years of technical hands-on coding experience
• With a minimum of 2yrs as a data scientist.
• Legal authorization to work in India. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job
• Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen
• Must be willing to travel
• Must be willing to work out of an office located in Bangalore, India
• PhD in Computer Science or in “STEM” Majors (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math)
• Strong distributed systems and architecture knowledge, and experience with multitier architecture
• Mission critical systems experience is preferred
• Ability to manage complex technical projects.
• Demonstrates expertise in problem solving and technical innovation.
• Demonstrated experience of delivering on commitments to clients.
• Demonstrates capability of 'rolling up sleeves and getting hands dirty'.
• Provides excellent influential communication skills and business acumen to both an arbitrator and advocate for technical issues.
• Experience developing applications in an agile/DevOps environment would be a distinct advantage
• Solid understanding of software development tools & infrastructure
• Effective teaming and problem solving abilities
• Strong interpersonal and leadership skills
• Able to interface effectively with all levels of the organization and external customers
• Hands-on experience in big data, information retrieval, data mining or machine learning (Hadoop, Solr, Hive, HBase, Storm, Spark, Kafka, Yarn ,Storm, Splunk, Vertica).
• Understands the concepts and technology ecosystem around both real-time and batch processing in Hadoop (HDFS, MapReduce, Spark, HBase, Hive, Beam)
• Broad understanding of modern cloud computing technologies and their tradeoffs
• Experience working with NoSQL Databases (HBase, Cassandra, Couchbase, etc.)
• Demonstrated ability to develop containerized solutions (Docker/Mesos etc)
• Strong implementation experience with high-level languages and frameworks such as R, Python, Perl, Ruby, Scala, Storm, SAS
• Experienced in implementing Big Data technologies successfully in an enterprise;
• Advanced knowledge in entity and relationship extraction from unstructured data;
• Experienced in developing and integrating software allowing for flexible and scalable data transformation with data quality controls.
• Contribute to the evolving architecture to meet growth requirements for scaling, reliability, performance and security. Strong hands-on skills in sourcing, cleaning, manipulating and analyzing large volumes of data including SQL and NoSQL databases
• Create, analyze and manage projects that provide direct business benefit; demonstrate detailed knowledge of business operations and strategic direction, including merger & acquisition opportunities
• Understand industry trends and competitive landscape and the implications for your GE business
• Partner with business leaders to align projects with business goals and needs.
• Recommends allocation of budget to meet architectural initiatives critical to business/mission success.
• Develops the business case for approval.
• Provides leadership, technology guidance and mentors others throughout their domain.
• Define the skills, competencies in the skills and talents for architecture team members.
• Facilitates dialogues that produce new perspectives and trigger recommendations for substantial innovative / enhancements, and analysis of consequences.
• Influences through others.
• Uses experts or other third parties to influence.
• Builds direct and "behind the scenes" support for ideas, uses chains of indirect influence.
• Challenges conventional thinking and traditional ways of operating and invites stakeholders to identify issues and opportunities.
• Takes a holistic systems perspective.
• Envisions, compares and contrasts multiple potential long-range enterprise-wide futures.
• Empathizes with multiple points of view
How to Apply
To be considered for a future position, please submit your resume/CV via the GE Careers website http://www.gesoftware.com/careers/
Equal Employment Opportunity
GE Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes diversity.
Locations: India; Bangalore