GE is the world's Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
GE Oil & Gas fuels the future. We push the boundaries of technology to bring energy to the world. We are inventing the next industrial era in the oil and gas sector. In our labs and factories, and in the field, we constantly push the boundaries of technology to solve today’s toughest operational & commercial challenges. We have the skills, knowledge and technical expertise to bring together the physical and digital worlds to fuel the future.
GE Oil & Gas is a “fullstream” company, working from exploration and production to downstream. A $19 billion leader designed for a world of complex resources. The deeper, the hotter, the more remote, the more logistically difficult or environmentally sensitive the challenge – the more GE Oil & Gas can help.
Through project management expertise and technology innovation, we work to help lower costs, make things faster, simpler and more productive for our customers.
In today’s era of complex resources, the deeper, the hotter, the more remote, the more logistically difficult or environmentally sensitive the challenge – the more we can help. The GE scale helps us bring new solutions to market quicker to help our customers adapt to the industry’s changing environment.
We go where you go and operate side-by-side in 120 countries. The closer we are to our customers, the quicker we can anticipate and solve their challenges.
We’re at work today, to ensure the next generation is equipped and empowered to go further and deeper, helping to fuel the future.
Follow GE Oil & Gas on Twitter @GE_OilandGas.
GE is diversity. We aim to employ the worlds’ brightest minds to help us create an unlimited source of ideas and opportunities. We believe in hiring talented people of varied backgrounds, experiences and styles - people like you!
GE Oil & Gas in Newcastle have an exciting opportunity for a Lead Advanced Manufacturing Engineer – Metals to join the team. We design & manufacture flexible pipe products which are critical to offshore oil and gas production systems. Engineered to withstand the harshest operating conditions, our systems are currently operating in depths well beyond 2000m and are being qualified for up to 3000m.
Continuation of the Role Summary/Purpose
Each of the multiple layers of these unbonded products (consisting of helically-applied metallic wires & extruded thermoplastics), is designed to meet specific project requirements, including high temperature and pressure.
The Lead Advanced Manufacturing Engineer (Metals), will focus on the development of processes and methodologies related to metal forming applied to Flexible Pipe Manufacturing. The role will include interfacing, facilitating and providing guidance to the global AME team located in Niterói (Brazil) and Newcastle (UK). The selected candidate will help define global AME Flexible Pipe Manufacturing strategy and roadmap execution.
You will support the team in collecting and analysing relevant data and recommend specific process improvement actions. Will also work closely with commercial team by collecting relevant information from client product specifications and recommending actions for the most efficient industrial methods to deliver customer outcomes. The Lead AME (Metals) will conceive design and support delivery of cutting edge manufacturing process technologies, systems, and methods for metal forming in support of the Wellstream business – the focus will be aimed at gains in efficiency, quality and predictability in production outcomes, increasing business reliability, performance and profitability.
This role will require an experienced professional with project management skills. You will have the ability to work effectively in ambiguity, lead globally and cross-functionally to deliver on project objectives. Develop, organize, and grow manufacturing supply chain in the area of flexible pipe manufacturing and be the interface between design and manufacturing when it comes to employing new process technology solutions:
- Develop and implement new technologies aimed at improving shop productivity, with a focus on Metals forming technology.
- Contribute to a cross-functional team aimed at improving Manufacturing / Inspection processes and systems.
- Guide, train and provide technical counsel to new and experienced engineers, technicians and specialists in flexible pipe manufacturing, focus on Metals technology.
- Work in advance with commercial team on new bids to identify future manufacturing requirements and design to cost objectives.
- Recommend, manage and implement the necessary changes at Wellstream facilities to comply with new product requirements.
- Advise personnel in the Design, Materials, and Manufacturing communities on the application of manufacturing and inspection processes and related quality systems.
- Design and perform experiments to optimize processes and methods and help evaluate manufacturing improvements.
- Conduct in-plant tests in advance to actual pipes to assure production will run according to product spec.
- Conduct benchmarking and bring new manufacturing Metals forming technology to GE Wellstream.
- Support and lead Brilliant Factory (Operational Excellence) initiatives, focus on Metals forming technology.
- Attend meetings as determined by the AME Leader and/or Manufacturing Leader to support AME.
- Identify and deploy process technologies that are aimed at reducing manufacturing cost and improving operational efficiency by working closely with the respective cell teams.
- Maintain and monitor accurate written and computerised records for the process as detailed above in essential responsibilities
- Perform other duties as required by the AME Leader or Manufacturing Leader.
- Mechanical Engineering, Physics or related field with post-degree experience or equivalent knowledge and experience
- Engineering experience in manufacturing environment gained in industrial or process engineering or similar
- Experience with Metal Forming Technology and Welding
- NPI and new tooling experience
Applications from job seekers who require sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. However, non-EU/EEA candidates may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified, experienced and skilled EU/EEA candidate is available to take up the post, as the employing body is unlikely, in these circumstances, to satisfy the Resident Labour Market Test. For further information please visit the UK Border Agency website:http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/working.
- Expertise in statistics and industry production measurement standards
- Strong aptitude for developing and conducting statistically designed experiments in factory and laboratory conditions, knowledge of capability study (CP and CPK).
- Previous experience in a manufacturing environment preferred flexible pipe with metal forming bias.
- Proven experience of RCA and problem solving.
- Working knowledge of Windows software, including Mini Tab and the specific ability in the advanced use of Excel spread sheets.
- Experience in lean manufacturing
- Experience in lamination and stamping
- Experience in coaching and mentoring team/peers
In this role, you will be the key interface between design and manufacturing. If you have manufacturing experience in Metals and a keen interest in utilizing new technology to drive effectiveness and efficiency, we would like to hear from you.
Locations: United Kingdom; Newcastle-upon-Tyne