Sr Engineer 3 - Mechanical Component
- GE Renewable Energy
- Posted 7/26/2017 5:35:35 PM
- Job Function: Engineering/Technology
- Business Segment: Renewable Energy OnShore Wind
Location(s): Mexico; Queretaro
GE Renewable Energy is a 9 billion dollar start-up that brings together one of the broadest product and service portfolios of the renewable energy industry. With 13,000 employees present in more than 40 countries, and headquartered in Paris, GE Renewable Energy is backed-up by the resources of the world’s first digital industrial
company. We take the earth’s most abundant resources - the strength of the wind, the force of water, and the heat of the sun, - and put them to work with breakthrough technology that unleashes their true possibilities. Combining onshore and offshore wind, hydro and innovative technologies such as concentrated solar power, GE Renewable Energy has installed more than 370 gigawatts capacity globally to make the world work better and cleaner.
Lead and perform mechanical design and analysis of wind turbine components within the Machine Head Subsystem. Will lead and support the product through the entire life cycle from conceptual design through design and development, testing, qualification, manufacturing and installed fleet support. Will drive technical excellence and continuous improvement in the design, cost, producibility and reliability of the component(s) under their responsibility.
• Design Machine Head components for wind turbines
• Responsible for Design, development and testing to prove component function and reliability
• Provide innovative design solutions to meet aggressive timing, product cost and reliability targets
• Work cross functionally with quality teams, manufacturing engineers, sourcing, suppliers, field support and others to improve product quality and first time yield
• Support manufacturing, sourcing and field support with issue resolution and quick corrective actions for design related causes
• Drive quick, complete technical root cause analysis of field failures and identify design related corrective actions to prevent recurrence
• Support global supply chain activities for quality assurance and fulfillment across the globe
• Identify and execute cost saving ideas and strategies
• Drive lessons learned, best practices and standardization into drawings, specifications, design practices and processes
• Mentor and provide guidance to professional and lead band engineers
• Partner with wind turbine Principal Engineers on executing technical projects which advance the technology
• Communicate with the customer or program manager to assure a quality product is delivered objectives attained on time
• Provide technical engineering support to improve or resolve problems with structural design
• Demonstrate accountability for functional, business, and broad company objectives
• Integrate across disciplines in Wind GEIQ Org and wind systems and with internal / external customers
• Integrate and develop processes that meet business needs across the organization
• Manage complex issues within functional area(s) of expertise
• Contribute to the overall business strategy
• Provide leadership and technical direction to the different wind programs to team members
• Provide counsel to team on design practices and standards
• Support parts, components and performance tests, contributing to test planning
• Support qualifying process for both components and suppliers
We may not have a specific job for you today, but are interested in your expertise for tomorrow. We’re looking for experienced people, and we offer opportunities around the globe in Engineering.
• BS degree plus 10 years of experience or Master’s degree plus 8 years of experience or PhD degree plus 6 years of experience.
• Effective written and oral communication skills in English and Spanish (Portuguese as differentiator)
• Must be able to maintain a normal day-to-day fluid conversation on any topic with few mistakes (mistakes that will not affect getting the message through). Must have fluency and rhythm and sufficient self-confidence in the language to be able to handle meetings and conversations. For more information consult HR English Evaluations document
• Demonstrated solid technical skills and experience in accordance with the team’s scope.
• Point of contact between counterparts technical leaders and GEIQ
• Presentation Skills: ability to communicate with Senior Leadership
• Green Belt certification within 1 year of hire date / Green Belt certified
• Demonstrated ability in managing projects across functions
• Capable of coaching others to accomplish assignments
• Demonstrated interpersonal and leadership experience
• Demonstrated ability in establishing common goals and objectives
• Demonstrated ability in influencing and shaping team's long term vision and strategy
• Strategic planning and execution
• Experience in Mechanical Design, with a minimum of 5 years.
• Effective project management skills
• Ability to work with global team members across cultural boundaries – US, Germany, India, Brazil, Mexico.
Strong oral and written communication skills. Strong interpersonal and leadership skills. Demonstrated ability to analyze and resolve technical problems. Demonstrated ability to lead programs / projects. Ability to document, plan, market, and execute programs. Established project management skills.
• Previous experience as Performance Program Leader
• Strong background in Mechanical Design
1. Coach and mentor others in the analysis, design, test and/or integration related to assigned components, assemblies or process systems that meet business standards, practices and procedures, and meet the product/program requirements.
2. Work within the guidelines of applicable GE Policies and Procedures, Engineering Standards, Design Customer Operating Procedures, Specifications, Government and Commercial Standards, and special security requirements.
3. Provide technical guidance to other personnel and assigned teams; mentor others in the organization.
4. Assure proper documentation of technical data generated to substantiate the assigned components, assemblies, processes and/or systems is consistent with engineering policies and procedures.
5. Monitor and communicate project status, business issues and significant developments.
6. Participate as a presenter in technical and program reviews.
7. Lead the solution of complex technical problems.
8. Utilize Six Sigma tools to improve current business products and processes. Document successful Six Sigma projects via Green Belt reports and/or presentations.
9. Lead multiple projects, monitoring progress and quality and ensuring schedule requirements are met.
10. Recognized technical expert in relevant engineering domain.
11. Lead the implementation of innovative analysis, design, development concepts, processes and system solutions.
12. Define technical schedule cost and/or program requirements.
13. Conduct assessments and develop action plans to anticipate and respond to problems.
14. Participate in organizational efforts in design, analysis, test and manufacturing technology, quality, productivity and other initiatives.
15. Lead the development of component assemblies, processes or systems and solve complex high impact problems.
16. Effectively communicate and provide recommendations to internal and external GE customers through the analysis, preparation and presentation of technical data.
17. Provide the technical engineering support to improve or resolve design, performance, manufacturing, supplier or field issues.
18. Interface with external organizations and supporting functions, and direct/coordinate the efforts of project team members in order to accomplish overall goals.
19. Support team’s technical proficiency and growth.
20. Experience in mechanical analysis - finite element analysis.
21. Working knowledge of 3D-CAD tools like UG.
22. Working knowledge of Ansys or other finite element analysis tools.
Locations: Mexico; Queretaro