GE is the world’s Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
It is not about your career… it is not about your job title… it is about who you are…. It is about the impact you are going to make on the world. You want to go into uncharted waters… do things that haven’t been done to make yours and someone else's life better. GE has been doing that for decades! We will continue to do so! We are the world’s digital industrial company.
Grid Solutions equips 90% of power utilities worldwide to bring power reliably and efficiently from the point of generation to end power consumers. With over 200 years combined experience in providing advanced energy solutions, our products and services enable more resilient, efficient and reliable power systems. For more information, visit www.GEGridSolutions.com
GE is diversity. We aim to employ the worlds’ brightest minds to help us create an unlimited source of ideas and opportunities. We believe in hiring talented people of varied backgrounds, experiences and styles - people like you!
The provision of GE HVDC Control system is critical to the success of each HVDC Contract awarded. his role has key objectives of mentoring, supporting and leading a team of software engineers in ensuring that reference and project design of world-class Control & Protection software for VSC, LCC and SVC converters is fully tested and validated within the framework of formal release control and technical risk management.
• Management and coordination of a software validation engineering team and common tools to meet the project resource requirements throughout the full project delivery life cycle in conjunction with the Project Lead/s.
• “Resource Pool” management, work load tracking and recruitment activity of new engineers; generate Job Descriptions, interviewing and assessment of applicants, induction and mentoring of new team members.
• Overall coordination and planning of validation life-cycle activities within the Controls Delivery Group; researching and implementing effective test methodologies and strategy, support for projects’ overall configuration control and release management, software quality assurance and validation documentation.
• Manage and execute FST/FAT test activities. Generate test plans, specifications and reports for internal and external stakeholders. Check and approve technical documents and reports generated by others.
• Inspire the team to implement innovative ideas to improve product, processes, tools and knowledge management.
• Grow a "professional" engineering delivery, right first time culture, attitude and approach with team.
• Play a high profile and proactive part in the development and deployment of engineering processes, working methods and best practices.
• Lead and manage the team ensuring performance standards, annual objectives, policies and procedures are met.
• Regularly manage and review performance of team members according to the GE Performance Management Cycle
• Review the software validation team skills, identify any shortfall or skill gap and ensure the necessary training, guidance and mentoring of Engineers and Lead Engineers is in place.
• Working with the Group Lead/s and Project Lead/s, the Validation Team Lead will predict the skill requirements in the medium and long term and match it with the validation team’s development plans and succession planning.
• Degree Qualified (or equivalent) in an Engineering Discipline or proven experience of equivalent level or equivalent knowledge and experience.
Experience and Knowledge
• Significant experience as Software Testing / Validation Engineer with conceptual understanding of full life cycle of software development.
• Experience in implementing validation strategy using full-suite of modern automated techniques in real-time hardware environments of complex systems.
• Proven track record of experience as engineering Team Leader or leading technical role in projects.
• Proven track record of a structured approach to knowledge transfer
• Understanding of realtime-software design targets and constraints.
• Knowledge and experience in safety critical software development practices (e.g. IEC 61508, IEC 62304).
• Experienced in Test Driven Design techniques (e.g. CI/Continuous Integration, Unit Testing, automated regression testing).
• Knowledge and experience with realtime simulation environments (e.g. RTDS).
• Requirement management; requirement capture, RQM tools, tracability and the V-model of development.
• Change control and issues tracking (e.g. CCB, Jira).
• Release management; release testing and reporting
• Strong advocate of best engineering practices and adherence to company values
• Sense of urgency and delivery
• Ability to coordinate a team
• Project management skills
• Sound level of communication skills
• Right first time culture & attitude
Applications from job seekers who require sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. However, non-EU/EEA candidates may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified, experienced and skilled EU/EEA candidate is available to take up the post, as the employing body is unlikely, in these circumstances, to satisfy the Resident Labour Market Test. For further information please visit the UK Border Agency website
Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) clearance is required and must be maintained for this role. Please note that in the event that BPSS clearance cannot be obtained, you may not be eligible for the role and/or any offer of employment may be withdrawn on grounds of national security. Please see the link below for further details regarding the requirements for BPSS clearance
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/61212/hmg-personnel-security-controls.pdf Desired Characteristics:
• Knowledge and experience in Agile development practices (e.g. Scrum) Locations:
• Project management qualification (e.g. Prince2)
• Static analysis (e.g. Klocwork, SonarQube)
• Knowledge of HVDC
• Knowledge of Power Electronics control system design
• Model-Based Design techniques (Matlab-Simulink)
United Kingdom; Stafford