GE is the world's Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
Grid Solutions equips 90% of power utilities worldwide to bring power reliably and efficiently from the point of generation to end power consumers. With over 200 years combined experience in providing advanced energy solutions, our products and services enable more resilient, efficient and reliable power systems. For more information, visit www.GEGridSolutions.com
GE is diversity. We aim to employ the worlds’ brightest minds to help us create an unlimited source of ideas and opportunities. We believe in hiring talented people of varied backgrounds, experiences and styles - people like you! Role Summary:
As a Lead Engineer, you will be part of a highly motivated and rapidly growing team of engineers working on the development of new power electronics applications for power systems, particularly for HVDC converters and the forthcoming “HVDC Grid”. Essential Responsibilities:
• Design, validation and industrialization of power electronic converter modules for HVDC & FACTs
• Circuit simulation for design and testing
• Specification of key power electronics components
• Electronics and thermal design integration
• Compile DFMEA and design document
• Ability to undertake technical reviews of technology with engineering experts
• Implement and perform validation tests and design-proving tests
• Innovation on new technical ideas for patent applications
• Work closely with supply chain for power electronics components
• Integration with other departments (engineering, manufacturing, S&P, SQA) for product development and support tendering and project delivery
• Actively broadening and deepening HVDC knowledge Qualifications/Requirements:
• Power Electronics and High Voltage knowledge (such as HVDC and FACTs applications, Variable-speed drives)
• Power electronic components (IGBTs, thyristors, passive components)
• Proven ability in product design, validation and industrialisation
• Thermal Design (loss calculations, heatsink specification)
• Power Electronic control & protection
• Simulation tools such as Matlab-Simulink, PSCAD-EMTDC
Applications from job seekers who require sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. However, non-EU/EEA candidates may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified, experienced and skilled EU/EEA candidate is available to take up the post, as the employing body is unlikely, in these circumstances, to satisfy the Resident Labour Market Test. For further information please visit the UK Border Agency website
Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) clearance is required and must be maintained for this role. Please note that in the event that BPSS clearance cannot be obtained, you may not be eligible for the role and/or any offer of employment may be withdrawn on grounds of national security. Please see the link below for further details regarding the requirements for BPSS clearance
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/61212/hmg-personnel-security-controls.pdf Desired Characteristics:
• Strong oral and written communication skills.
• Strong interpersonal and leadership skills.
• Ability to influence others and lead small teams.
• Lead initiatives of moderate scope and impact.
• Ability to coordinate several projects simultaneously.
• Effective problem identification and solution skills.
• Proven analytical and organizational ability. Locations:
United Kingdom; Stafford