GE is the world’s Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
Grid Solutions equips 90% of power utilities worldwide to bring power reliably and efficiently from the point of generation to end power consumers. With over 200 years combined experience in providing advanced energy solutions, our products and services enable more resilient, efficient and reliable power systems. For more information, visit www.GEGridSolutions.com
GE is diversity. We aim to employ the worlds’ brightest minds to help us create an unlimited source of ideas and opportunities. We believe in hiring talented people of varied backgrounds, experiences and styles - people like you! Role Summary:
The software test engineer is responsible for creation, execution and maintenance of the product test solution. They shall use industry standard test tools to develop manual and automated tests in a variety of programming languages. They will work in a multi-disciplined team to uncover and debug problems at the earliest stage of development. The test engineer will also be responsible for ensuring product requirements are captured. Essential Responsibilities:
• Be an active participant in the definition of the product test strategy.
• Be able to configure both a Windows and a Linux test system.
• Create test solutions appropriate to the product needs.
• Create and run manual tests.
• Create and maintain automated tests.
• Be responsible for ensuring an audit trail for all test activities.
• Be able to source product requirements.
• Be the voice of the customer during product development discussions.
• Keep up-to-date on current test technologies and processes.
• Apply principles of SDLC and methodologies like Lean/Agile/XP, CI, Software and Product Security, Scalability, Documentation Practices, refactoring and Testing Techniques. Qualifications/Requirements:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or in ''STEM'' Majors (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) or equivalent knowledge and experience.
• Proven experience developing test solutions.
• Experience using an automated GUI tool such as QTP/UFT using expert view (not keyword or record and playback).
• Experienced in writing/executing test cases on large scale multi-platform systems.
• Proven understanding of the various testing techniques (Black, White, Grey, Performance, Load, Security).
• Hands-on working knowledge of at least two of the following languages: Perl, C#, VBScript.
• Experience using SQL.
• Understanding of object oriented design principles.
• Working knowledge of Linux, Windows 7 and Windows Server
Applications from job seekers who require sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. However, non-EU/EEA candidates may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified, experienced and skilled EU/EEA candidate is available to take up the post, as the employing body is unlikely, in these circumstances, to satisfy the Resident Labour Market Test. For further information please visit the UK Border Agency website
Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) clearance is required and must be maintained for this role. Please note that in the event that BPSS clearance cannot be obtained, you may not be eligible for the role and/or any offer of employment may be withdrawn on grounds of national security. Please see the link below for further details regarding the requirements for BPSS clearance
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/61212/hmg-personnel-security-controls.pdf Desired Characteristics:
• Strong oral and written communication skills.
• Strong interpersonal and leadership skills.
• Ability to influence others and lead small teams.
• Lead initiatives of moderate scope and impact.
• Ability to coordinate several projects simultaneously.
• Effective problem identification and solution skills.
• Proven analytical and organizational ability.
• Experience with performance/load tests.
• Working knowledge of web technology such as HTML/CSS/JQuery/MySQL.
• Experience using 3rd party automation tools such as SoapUI, Ranorex.
• Experience in working with Quality Centre /ALM.
• Demonstrate the ability to help team members
• Seeks to understand problems thoroughly before implementing solutions.
• Asks questions to clarify requirements when ambiguities are present
• Adapts to new environments and changing requirements.
• Takes the initiative to experiment with new software frameworks
• Identifies opportunities for innovation and offers new ideas.
• Pivots quickly as needed.
• When coached, responds to need & seeks info from other sources. Locations:
United Kingdom; Livingston