General Electric (NYSE: GE) works on things that matter. The best people and the best technologies taking on the toughest challenges. Finding digital and industrial solutions in energy, life science and healthcare, aviation, oil and gas, transportation and other businesses. Building, powering, moving, and helping to cure the world. Not just imagining. From aircraft engines and power generation to financial services and medical imaging, GE operates in more than 160 countries and employs more than 300,000 people worldwide. Role Summary:
The Global Patent Operation (GPO) Europe is responsible for the filing and prosecution of patent applications in Europe that protect GE’s important digital/ industrial technologies and products. GPO Europe has two job openings for European Patent (EP) Attorneys located in GE’s regional office in Budapest (Hungary). Essential Responsibilities:
The EP Attorney will partner with all GE’s businesses as well as with an international team of GE attorneys and paraprofessionals, to develop and implement strategies for protecting the business’ inventions. GPO Europe currently comprises eleven patent attorneys and is part of GE’s Global Patent Operation, which has global offices in India; China; Europe; Japan; and the US.
The EP Patent Attorney will prepare and prosecute European priority and convention patent applications depending on the candidate’s qualification and consistent with the defined strategy. Additionally, the EP Patent Attorney will prepare and execute defensive and offensive oppositions including representing GE at associated oral hearings.
Core Responsibilities: Qualifications/Requirements:
- Support a variety of patent activities for GE’s businesses. Provide advice to the businesses and counsel on a range of IP matters and issues, particularly related to European, and where required, Hungarian patent law and practice.
- Complete a large volume of patent filings and prosecution of European patent applications to grant. Draft most important priority patent applications for the business partners to develop IP protection strategies for the key business digital-industrial technologies and products.
- Establish and maintain professional relations with the European and national patent offices and examiners.
Qualifications / Requirements: Locations:
- Qualified European Patent Attorney is an advantage and preferably also qualified to work with another patent office.
- Demonstrated ability to complete high quality patent related application preparation, prosecution and client counselling work in English language.
- Basic, functional knowledge in German, French, Spain or Italian is beneficial.
- Possesses significant experience of professional patent-related experience.
- Has earned an academic degree in Physics or Chemistry, Mechanical-, Process-, or Electrical Engineering.
- Experience drafting and prosecuting patent applications in the field of electrical or mechanical engineering or related to materials or inorganic chemistry.
- Experience preparing and executing opposition proceedings, including representing clients at hearings and appeals before the European Patent Office or national patent offices is desirable.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of applicable international, regional and national patent rules, regulations and practice.
- Experience working as a member of a patent team, and preferably as a member of a global patent team.
- Successful applicant will be legally eligible to enter into an employment relationship under the laws of Hungary