GE is the world’s Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
It is not about your career… it is not about your job title… it is about who you are…. It is about the impact you are going to make on the world. You want to go into uncharted waters… do things that haven’t been done to make yours and someone else's life better. GE has been doing that for decades! We will continue to do so! We are the world’s digital industrial company.
Grid Solutions equips 90% of power utilities worldwide to bring power reliably and efficiently from the point of generation to end power consumers. With over 200 years combined experience in providing advanced energy solutions, our products and services enable more resilient, efficient and reliable power systems. For more information, visit www.GEGridSolutions.com
GE is diversity. We aim to employ the worlds’ brightest minds to help us create an unlimited source of ideas and opportunities. We believe in hiring talented people of varied backgrounds, experiences and styles - people like you!
As a Lead Power Electronics Engineer, you will report to the Converter Configuration Manager within the Converter Configuration Team (Tendering team for the HVDC Valve). The successful candidate will be part of a highly motivated, dynamic and rapidly growing team of engineers working on the tender activity related to HVDC applications. This is a very exciting and dynamic field of power engineering in which GE’s leading contribution has worldwide recognition.
• Generate tender specific documentation. Qualifications/Requirements:
• Validation of key component ratings (Size of the Valve, Calculation of losses, RAM study, Type test specification).
• Working against customer specification at tender stage (Clause by Clause, Risk analysis).
• Integration with other engineering departments for product definition (System design, Main Scheme, Layout, Commercial).
• Circuit simulation for design and future testing as part of project awarded.
• Product approval, including routine and type test specifications and pre-commissioning testing.
• Product support during complete life cycle (From Tender to Project commissioned).
• Travel across the EU and other countries for customer meetings during tender stage.
• Power electronic converters (motor drives, such as HVDC and FACTS applications)
• High power electronic components (IGBTs, thyristors, passive components)
• Thermal Design (loss calculations, heatsink specification liquid cooling)
• Specification & report writing
• Simulation tools such as Matlab-Simulink, PSCAD-EMTDC
• Design & type testing programmes
• Requirements capture
• Risk analysis
• EHS compliance ability
• Strong communication skills
• Able to work to deadlines with high quality
• Good technical communication
• Independent and team worker (Pro-Active)
• Precise documentation
• Attention to details
Applications from job seekers who require sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. However, non-EU/EEA candidates may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified, experienced and skilled EU/EEA candidate is available to take up the post, as the employing body is unlikely, in these circumstances, to satisfy the Resident Labour Market Test. For further information please visit the UK Border Agency website
Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) clearance is required and must be maintained for this role. Please note that in the event that BPSS clearance cannot be obtained, you may not be eligible for the role and/or any offer of employment may be withdrawn on grounds of national security. Please see the link below for further details regarding the requirements for BPSS clearance
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/61212/hmg-personnel-security-controls.pdf Desired Characteristics:
• Prior experience of electrical transmission industry Locations:
• Prior experience in a manufacturing environment
• Thermal and hydraulic design (e.g. loss temperature calculations, thermal modelling, thermal characteristics of material, pressure drop calculations)
• Intellectual property and the patent process experience
• Power Electronic control & protection
• Understanding of multi-modular converters
• High Voltage engineering
• Ability to coordinate and lead a small group of engineers
• Good at sharing knowledge and experience
United Kingdom; Stafford