GE is the world’s Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
It is not about your career… it is not about your job title… it is about who you are…. It is about the impact you are going to make on the world. You want to go into uncharted waters… do things that haven’t been done to make yours and someone else's life better. GE has been doing that for decades! We will continue to do so! We are the world’s digital industrial company.
Grid Solutions equips 90% of power utilities worldwide to bring power reliably and efficiently from the point of generation to end power consumers. With over 200 years combined experience in providing advanced energy solutions, our products and services enable more resilient, efficient and reliable power systems. For more information, visit www.GEGridSolutions.com
GE is diversity. We aim to employ the worlds’ brightest minds to help us create an unlimited source of ideas and opportunities. We believe in hiring talented people of varied backgrounds, experiences and styles - people like you!
The provision of the GE HVDC Control system is critical to the success of each HVDC Contract awarded. These complex and technically advanced systems incorporate software based on standard modules with bespoke parameters & client specific functions.
This role has key objectives of Project management and Technical coordination of project team(s) designing, developing and testing world-class Control & Protection software platform solutions for VSC and LCC systems. Essential Responsibilities:
Project management and Technical coordination of a portfolio of R&D projects. Provide project leadership and guidance from project concept through to project delivery and conduct project feedback reviews at the appropriate time. Provide an accurate monthly management report of all assigned projects.
• Project scope:
Producing and defining the Project Implementation Strategy for review, agreement and implementation with the Platform Group Leader. Timely communication of any change to all stakeholders. Qualifications/Requirements:
• Project Requirements gathering and release planning: Collect the project requirements and needs from the customer projects together with product owners, make prioritization and release planning.
• Project planning & execution: Define the project work breakdown structure (WBS), resources and skill levels required to meet the delivery timescales. Developing and maintaining project timescales providing contingency planning where required to ensure a timely delivery. Project(s) Scrum Master; Product Backlog management, Sprint planning, daily meetings.
• HDVC Application Development: Drive HVDC Applications development for VSC/LCC applications. Improvements for SW life cycle management, development process, build and configuration management and automatic testing tools and environment.
• Risk & opportunity management: Risk, issue, change and opportunity management and mitigation to meet the delivery schedule.
• Project cost management: Ensure project is delivered within the required budget Preparing and presenting monthly reports including KPI’s, budget and schedule program
• Project Quality management: Ensure adherence to the Gate reviews and QA processes, preparing, presenting and closing out issues raised
• Provide input to Tenders, reviews and technical meetings as requested. Working with discipline leads to ensure the Training, Guidance and Mentoring of Engineers and Senior Engineers is in place.
• Degree Qualified (or equivalent) in an Engineering Discipline ideally with a software content or equivalent knowledge & experience
• Ideally membership of a project management body (APM or similar)
• Certified Scrum Master (or proven track record in Agile project management)
• Electronics, hardware products and FPGA development experience.
The successful candidate will have an existing career within Project Management with hands-on understanding of software development for complex real-time systems - knowledge and confidence in applying modern project management frameworks and leading Scrum based project execution teams. The successful candidate has good communication skills to discuss with multiple customer projects and prioritizing requirements and release with multiple stakeholders.
• Automatic testing tools knowledge.
• Embedded Software development and software project delivery processes
• Knowledge and experience in Agile development practices (e.g. Certified Scrum Master)
• Knowledge of SW platform development for multiple products from same code base
• Software configuration management (build scripts, build management)
• Model-Based Design techniques (Matlab-Simulink)
• Test Driven Design techniques (e.g. CI/Continuous Integration, Unit Testing, automated regression testing)
• Requirement management; requirement capture, RQM tools
• Change control and issues tracking (e.g. CCB, Jira)
• Release management; release testing and notes, version control
Applications from job seekers who require sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. However, non-EU/EEA candidates may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified, experienced and skilled EU/EEA candidate is available to take up the post, as the employing body is unlikely, in these circumstances, to satisfy the Resident Labour Market Test. For further information please visit the UK Border Agency website
Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) clearance is required and must be maintained for this role. Please note that in the event that BPSS clearance cannot be obtained, you may not be eligible for the role and/or any offer of employment may be withdrawn on grounds of national security. Please see the link below for further details regarding the requirements for BPSS clearance
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/61212/hmg-personnel-security-controls.pdf Desired Characteristics:
• Static analysis (e.g. Klocwork, SonarQube)
• Knowledge and experience in safety critical software development practices (e.g. IEC 61508, IEC 62304)
• Knowledge of HVDC
• Knowledge of Power Electronics control system design
• Software architecture and modelling (e.g. UML, SysML)
• Communication Protocols IEC 61850 knowledge
• Merging units knowledge
• Ability to make decisions/Sense of urgency
• Ability to functionally manage a team and be a team player
• Sound level of communication skills, able and confident to interface with senior people and external customers
• "Professional" approach to engineering delivery
• Right first time culture & attitude
United Kingdom; Stafford