About Us: GE is the world's Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
At GE Transportation, we move the world. We are a global digital industrial leader and supplier to the rail, mining, marine, stationary power and drilling industries. Our solutions help customers deliver goods and services with greater speed and greater savings using our advanced manufacturing techniques, industry expertise and connected machines. Established more than a century ago, GE Transportation is a division of GE that began as a pioneer in passenger and freight locomotives. That innovative spirit still drives GE Transportation today. It's the engine of change that puts us at the forefront of transportation technology, software, and analytics. And it's why we continue to find-and realize-the potential that keeps our connected world moving forward. The GE Transportation Global Headquarters is located in Chicago, Illinois. There are over 65 service sites worldwide.
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Role Summary: The Sr Data Scientist will work in teams addressing statistical, machine learning and data understanding problems in a commercial technology and consultancy development environment. In this role, you will contribute to the development and deployment of modern machine learning, operational research, semantic analysis, and statistical methods for finding structure in large data sets.
Essential Responsibilities: As a Sr Data Scientist, you will be part of a data science or cross-disciplinary team on services operations development projects, typically involving large, complex data sets. These teams typically include statisticians, computer scientists, software developers, engineers, product managers, and end users, working in concert with partners in services. Potential application areas include remote monitoring and diagnostics, asset operations, component performance, and services and supply chain operations optimization.
In this role you will:
• Develop analytics to address customer needs and opportunities
• Work alongside software developers, software engineers and data engineers to translate algorithms into viable solutions
• Work in technical teams in development, deployment, and application of applied analytics, predictive analytics, and prescriptive analytics
• Perform exploratory and targeted data analyses using descriptive statistics and other methods
• Work with data engineers on data quality assessment, data cleansing and data analytics
• Generate reports, annotated code, and other projects artifacts to document, archive, and communicate your work and outcomes
• Share and discuss findings with team members.
Qualifications/Requirements: • Master’s Degree in a “STEM” major (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) plus 1 year analytics development for industrial applications in a commercial setting OR Ph.D. in a “STEM” major (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics)
• 2+ years of experience using of one or more analytic, visualization and data querying software tools or languages (e.g., R, Python, Java, Sisense, Tableau, D3, SQL, postgres)
• 3+ years of hands-on experience in data analytics
• Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation
• Demonstrated skill at data cleansing, data quality assessment, and using analytics for data assessment
• Demonstrated skill in the use of applied analytics, descriptive statistics, feature extraction and predictive analytics on industrial datasets
• Demonstrated skill at data visualization and storytelling for an audience of stakeholders
• Demonstrated awareness of data management methods
• Demonstrated awareness of realtime analytics development and deployment
• Ability to formulate problem statements and develop a plan for tackling the problem
• Advanced knowledge in machine learning algorithms
• Demonstrated competence in statistics and probability
• Software development & engineering skills would be an asset
• Demonstrated awareness of industry and technology trends in one or more sectors where GE operates
• Demonstrated awareness of customer and stakeholder management and business metrics
• Demonstrated skill at function in a team setting
• Demonstrated awareness of critical thinking and problem solving methods
• Demonstrated awareness of presentation and influencing skills
• Demonstrated awareness of how to succeed in ambiguous circumstances
We are in the process of transitioning to an improved job application system and in the interim we are operating with two systems. Have your Job ID ready (from the email you received when you applied) to log in and check your application status.
Click the appropriate button. If you don't know your job ID, you can still check your status: use both buttons.