GE is the world’s Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
It is not about your career… it is not about your job title… it is about who you are…. It is about the impact you are going to make on the world. You want to go into uncharted waters… do things that haven’t been done to make yours and someone else's life better. GE has been doing that for decades! We will continue to do so! We are the world’s digital industrial company.
Grid Solutions equips 90% of power utilities worldwide to bring power reliably and efficiently from the point of generation to end power consumers. With over 200 years combined experience in providing advanced energy solutions, our products and services enable more resilient, efficient and reliable power systems. For more information, visit www.GEGridSolutions.com
GE is diversity. We aim to employ the worlds’ brightest minds to help us create an unlimited source of ideas and opportunities. We believe in hiring talented people of varied backgrounds, experiences and styles - people like you!
The Power Electronics Controls Engineer will be responsible for design, development and integration of world class control software for HVDC converters. The role will involve Model Based Design of reference applications for complex and technically advanced HVDC systems. The role will also involve deployment of control system on distributed control hardware and extensive real time and desktop simulation.
As the Power Electronics Control Engineer, you will:
• Design, implement, and test power electronic control software for Voltage Source Converter (VSC) and Line Commutated Converter (LCC) converters
• Use Model Based Design tools (MATLAB/Simulink) to develop HVDC application software
• Deploy control software to distributed control hardware
• Perform unit level and system level desktop simulation (MATLAB/Simulink, PSCAD)
• Implement rapid-prototypes using auto-code generation tools (Matlab/Simulink)
• Perform unit level and system level testing using real time simulation tools (RTDS, OpalRT)
• Use Systems Modelling Language (SysML) throughout design process
• Participate in writing product documentation, technical reports, and authoring software development and test plans
• Engineering Degree or equivalent including power electronics and power systems or equivalent knowledge & experience
• Experience developing real time control software for power conversion or drive products
• Experience in developing embedded control applications using MATLAB/Simulink
Applications from job seekers who require sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. However, non-EU/EEA candidates may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified, experienced and skilled EU/EEA candidate is available to take up the post, as the employing body is unlikely, in these circumstances, to satisfy the Resident Labour Market Test. For further information please visit the UK Border Agency website
Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) clearance is required and must be maintained for this role. Please note that in the event that BPSS clearance cannot be obtained, you may not be eligible for the role and/or any offer of employment may be withdrawn on grounds of national security. Please see the link below for further details regarding the requirements for BPSS clearance
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/61212/hmg-personnel-security-controls.pdf Desired Characteristics:
• Experience with real-time embedded software development for power converters, motor drives or preferably HVDC converters Locations:
• Experience with Model Based control design using MATLAB/Simulink
• Experience with Power Electronics control theory
• Experience with Power Systems and Converter theory
• Experience with system level modelling and simulation
• Experience in System Modelling Language (SysML)
• Experience in real-time simulation tools e.g. RTDS, OpalRT
• Experience in version control, e.g. SVN and issue tracking tools, e.g. JIRA
• Demonstrated ability to meet goals and objectives
• Strong problem solving skills
• Proven interpersonal and leadership skills
United Kingdom; Stafford