GE is the world's Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
Predix, the operating system for the Industrial Internet, is powering digital industrial businesses that drive the global economy. By connecting industrial equipment, analyzing data, and delivering real-time insights, Predix-based apps are unleashing new levels of performance of both GE and non-GE assets.
Continuous data acquisition, coupled with timely response demands brilliantly robust and scalable technologies at the edge and onward to the cloud. Predix is purpose-built to offer software services that deliver actionable intelligence, transformative insights, and effective control—from the edge, to the data center, and back.
GE Canada is recognized as one of the Top Employers for Young People in 2017. To learn more about our Campus program please go to: www.campuscareers.ge.ca
GE – imagination at work
An Equal Opportunity Employer Role Summary:
Position Title: SOFTWARE ENGINEERING INTERN
GE Business: GE DIGITAL
Location: BURNABY, BC
Duration: 8 MONTHS
Anticipated Start Date: JANUARY 2018
Number of positions: 1
Reporting to: DIRECTOR, SOFTWARE ENGINEERING
Application Deadline: SEPTEMBER 18, 2017 Essential Responsibilities: The Position:
Qualifications/Requirements: Do you qualify? We are seeking…
By 2020, there will be over 50 billion connected devices. Many of those devices are related to the Industrial Internet of Things. As a Software Engineering Intern, you will drive value in solving real-world problems facing the onslaught of data that industrial companies now face. Work that you do here at GE Digital will drive actionable insight turning billions of daily data points into key metrics for our customers and partners.
You will be collaborating with your SCRUM team (developers, QA, and technical writers, product owner, and scrum master) to develop and test functionality on our MIx Core Platform and MIx Director Suite. Working with team members, you may get the opportunity to design, implement and test new product functionality. You’ll have the opportunity to also demonstrate the work that you do to team members and other stakeholders.
With us, you will expand your knowledge of cutting-edge software development practices while working in a highly collaborative start-up environment.
Nature of work:
In this role, your responsibilities will include (but are not limited to);
• Develop software solutions by studying information needs; conferring with stakeholders;
• Implement and unit test designs as outlined by senior members of the team;
• Ensure the software is designed and written to be easily maintainable and can achieve high performance;
• Leverage a world-class development experience on the Predix;
• Design and develop software for the Industrial Internet of Things providing real-time actionable insights for customers;
• Clearly communicate blocking issues and collaborate with others to resolve in a timely fashion;
• Accomplish engineering and organization missions by completing related results as needed;
• Complete assigned tasks within the timeframe specified in the product development plan.
Skills: Desired Characteristics: Desired:
• Individuals with less than 2 years of work experience (outside of co-op/internship/summer work experience);
• Good understanding of object oriented programming (ie: Java or equivalent);
• Good understanding with RESTful Web Services;
• A self-starter, with the resourcefulness to seek resolutions to issues by leveraging the greater team;
• Results-driven and strong ability to work independently with minimal supervision;
• Thirst for knowledge, interest in continuously learning new ways of solving problems;
• Excellent English written and verbal communication skills;
• Candidates must be eligible to work in Canada.
• College Diploma, University Bachelor, or Master Degree in course of completion in Computer/Software Engineering, Computer Science, or equivalent related discipline.
• Open to both current students who will be returning to their in-class studies upon the completion of the work term and recent graduates who have completed their studies within the past 2 years
- Candidates are to submit a cover letter and resume. It is a mandatory requirement that you identify your school, cumulative GPA, and anticipated graduation date as part of the application process.
- Please note that this position does not provide a subsidy for relocation expenses.
- Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for your interest in joining GE.
• Full stack web application development experience is a plus;
• Experience with XML/XSLT/XPATH;
• Experience with Distributed Systems;
• Development experience in Linux also a benefit;
• Understanding of NoSQL & Big Data Technologies;
• Experience with Agile development methodologies;
• Proven ability to work collaboratively with diverse people in virtual team settings. Locations:
Canada; British Columbia; Burnaby