GE is the world’s Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
It is not about your career… it is not about your job title… it is about who you are…. It is about the impact you are going to make on the world. You want to go into uncharted waters… do things that haven’t been done to make yours and someone else's life better. GE has been doing that for decades! We will continue to do so! We are the world’s digital industrial company.
Grid Solutions equips 90% of power utilities worldwide to bring power reliably and efficiently from the point of generation to end power consumers. With over 200 years combined experience in providing advanced energy solutions, our products and services enable more resilient, efficient and reliable power systems. For more information, visit www.GEGridSolutions.com
GE is committed to taking on the world’s toughest challenges. In order to fulfill that promise we rely on a culture of leadership, diversity and inclusiveness. We aim to employ the world’s brightest minds to help us create a limitless source of ideas and opportunities. We believe in hiring talented people of varied backgrounds, experiences and styles…people like you!
The role gives an excellent opportunity for a motivated candidate to innovate & expand their design skill within an well recognised expert in this exciting field. The successful candidate will be part of a highly motivated, rapidly growing team of engineers working on the projects related to HVDC applications. Whilst based at the HVDC Centre of Excellence in Stafford there will be international travel opportunities to collaborate with other GE units, test laboratories & customer sites.
• Involved with specifying, reviewing, testing and commissioning of cooling control systems provided by 3rd parties as required by the relevant project. Qualifications/Requirements:
• Provide cooling systems controls support and expertise to tendering for future HVDC schemes.
• Provide cooling systems controls support to the implementation, testing, installation, commissioning and customer acceptance of HVDC system.
• Liaise with 3rd party cooling system suppliers to achieve lowest cost highly functional control systems.
• Work with other departments within PES to improve and refine the specification and design of future cooling system controls to align with developments within other systems, for example the interfaces to the converter control system.
• Provide cooling system controls expertise to other initiatives within PES, such a Digital Solutions, Asset Programme management and Digital Twin.
• Provide control systems training, documentation and support to project teams and customers as required.
• Make decisions (often under pressure), and make sure that those decisions are communicated, understood, and, ultimately, implemented.
• Communicate effectively with other stakeholders, such as cooling team members, valves engineers, converter control systems teams and project team members, to understand their needs and to ensure that the defined controls systems meet their requirements.
• Expect to work on multiple tasks and initiatives concurrently.
• Contribute to continuous improvement of processes, designs and systems.
• Prepare formal engineering documentation (e.g. reports, specs, technical notes etc) for approval by others.
• Prepare informal documentation (memos, technical notes etc)
• Authority to sign the ‘approved by’ box for all specifications and external reports including standards
• Educated to degree level in Software Engineering, Computer Information Systems, Control Engineering or Computer Sciences or equivalent knowledge & experience
• Ability to manage a team, (organisational skills, leadership potential)
• Fluency in English
• Competence in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel)
• Sound practical experience with industrial control systems
• Good understanding of software and control systems development life cycle
• Experience in Safety Systems development will be advantageous
• Domain knowledge in Power System Protection, Measurements and Command and Control will be desirable.
• Demonstrated knowledge of industry trends and standards
• Requirements capture
• Risk analysis
• EHS compliance ability
• Strong communication skills
Applications from job seekers who require sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. However, non-EU/EEA candidates may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified, experienced and skilled EU/EEA candidate is available to take up the post, as the employing body is unlikely, in these circumstances, to satisfy the Resident Labour Market Test. For further information please visit the UK Border Agency website
Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) clearance is required and must be maintained for this role. Please note that in the event that BPSS clearance cannot be obtained, you may not be eligible for the role and/or any offer of employment may be withdrawn on grounds of national security. Please see the link below for further details regarding the requirements for BPSS clearance
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/61212/hmg-personnel-security-controls.pdf Desired Characteristics:
• Prior experience of cooling system and its control
• Ability to coordinate and lead a small group of engineers
• Good at sharing knowledge and experience
• Able to work to deadlines with high quality
• Good technical communication
• Independent and team worker (Pro-Active)
• Precise documentation
• Attention to details
Technical Experience Locations:
• Experience in using PLC programming languages, e.g. ladder logic and function blocks
• Experience in use of scripting languages, e.g. Perl, Python
• Experience in programming in structured languages, e.g. C, C++, VB
• Reading and understanding electrical schematics, wiring diagrams, circuit diagrams, process diagrams
• Knowledge of support applications, e.g. version control, bug reporting, change control systems
United Kingdom; Stafford