Business Segment: Digital Predix Products & Technology
Location(s): Canada; British Columbia; Burnaby
About Us: GE is the world's Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
Bit Stew Systems Inc:
Bit Stew Systems is the creator of the market leading platform for Software Defined Operations for the Industrial Internet. Through data-driven automation, Bit Stew Systems removes the complexity of industrial operations and connected machines to give clarity and control back to the operator.
Purpose-built for the Industrial Internet of Things, Bit Stew’s Mix Core™ platform automates data ingestion, applies machine intelligence to learn patterns in the data, allowing industrial companies to discover actionable insights that optimize operational performance. MIx Director™ (formerly Grid Director™) is powered by the MIx Core platform, and is the application that industrial enterprises rely on for a contextual and real-time view of their operations, assets and customers.
Acquired by GE in 2016, Bit Stew Systems allows GE to provide greater value to its Digital customers.
GE Canada is recognized as one of the Top Employers for Young People in 2017. To learn more about our Campus program please go to: www.campuscareers.ge.ca Twitter: @GECanadaCampus
GE – imagination at work
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Role Summary: Position Title: Build & Release Engineering Intern
GE Business: GE Digital
Location: Burnaby, BC
Duration: 8 Months
Anticipated Start Date: January 2018
Number of positions: 1
Application Deadline: November 20, 2017
Essential Responsibilities: The Position:
GE Digital is seeking a Build & Release Engineering Intern for its growing Build & Release team. You will play an important role in evolving the MIx Core Platform and MIx Applications products.
The Build and Release Engineering Intern is responsible for the design and implementation of the B&R process. You will create and maintain the Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment and environments for the application engineering team. You will also be responsible for maintaining the code that builds, packages and releases the products. As the environment evolves, you participate in researching and integrating new technologies into the ecosystem with the aim to help simplify the day-to-day software development cycle of our Mix Core™.
With us, you will expand your knowledge of cutting-edge software development practices while working in a highly collaborative start-up environment.
Nature of work:
In this role, your responsibilities will include (but are not limited to);
• Collaborating with application developers and application QA engineers to continuously improve efficiency and reliability of build and development processes to support all phases of development, QA, and production releases;
• Providing and maintaining a detailed understanding of the structure and interdependencies of systems and leverage this knowledge to improve how our build and release processes allow us to achieve business goals rapidly;
• Maintaining and enhancing our Continuous Integration environment on a real-time basis, monitor builds, maintain configuration, and develop automation;
• Working with Continuous Integration deployment systems such as Jenkins and Bamboo;
• Working with Linux system administration and shell scripting;
• Potential exposure to management tools like ANT and Gradle;
• Potential exposure to AWS APIs for Continuous Integration deployment automation;
• Support development and QA teams with the continuous integration model – configure automated builds and deploys to DEV, CI, and QA environments;
• Participate in the improvement, documentation, and communication of configuration change processes.
Qualifications/Requirements: Do you qualify? We are seeking…
• Individuals with less than 2 years of work experience (outside of co-op/internship/summer work experience) – strong preference for at least 1 previous work term successfully completed;
• Some exposure with Agile software development values and practices (Scrum Software Development preferred);
• Exposure to Linux shell scripting and Git;
• Ability to learn quickly;
• Some ability to troubleshoot environmental issues;
• Excellent English written and verbal communication skills;
• A strong team player;
• Candidates must be eligible to work in Canada.
• Senior student (in 3rd year of study or above)
• College, University Bachelor, or Master Degree in course of completion in Computer/Software Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent related discipline.
• Open to both current students who will be returning to their in-class studies upon the completion of the work term and recent graduates who have completed their studies within the past 2 years.
• Candidates are to submit a cover letter and resume. It is a mandatory requirement that you identify your school, cumulative GPA, and anticipated graduation date as part of the application process.
• Please note that this position does not provide a subsidy for relocation expenses.
• Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for your interest in joining GE.
Desired Characteristics: Desired:
• Exposure to all or any of the following: Jenkins/Bamboo, Dockers, Ant, Gradle, Java, Amazon Web Services, XML, Dashing.io, Cucumber/Ruby, SQL
We are in the process of transitioning to an improved job application system and in the interim we are operating with two systems. Have your Job ID ready (from the email you received when you applied) to log in and check your application status.
Click the appropriate button. If you don't know your job ID, you can still check your status: use both buttons.