Sr Infastructure Engineer, Virtual Platform (Linux/IaaS)
Posted 1/31/2017 2:58:20 PM
Business Segment: Healthcare Life Care Solutions
Location(s): United States ; Wisconsin; Milwaukee
About Us: At GE Healthcare, we transform the way healthcare is delivered to patients globally. We are creating technology and solutions to enable social, mobile, and analytical and cloud capabilities for the Industrial Internet. The Industrial Internet is an open, global network that connects people, data and machines. It’s about making infrastructure more intelligent and advancing the industries critical to the world we live in. At GE, we believe it’s about the future of industry—energy, healthcare, transportation, manufacturing. It’s about making the world work better.
Not just imagining. Doing.
GE is the world’s Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
GE works on things that matter. The best people and the best technologies taking on the toughest challenges. GE operates in 160 countries and employs more than 300,000 people worldwide, finding solutions in energy, health and home, transportation and finance to build, power, move and cure the world. GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation.
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Role Summary: Join a dynamic team that’s using Agile to develop the next generation of mobile patient monitors & cloud-based networks. As a Staff Platform Engineer, you’ll be working on a state of the art platform that provides clinical intelligence at the point of need for caregivers. We’re developing a first of its kind hospital wide solution. Be part of a team that is redefining the patient monitoring portfolio: mobile, cableless, cloud enabled.
Essential Responsibilities: • Drive the IaaS and PaaS design for our Fog solution based on OpenStack/KVM.
• Drive the Docker container and orchestration strategy and design.
• Drive the Docker repository strategy and integration.
• Drive the configuration management strategy for our solution leveraging technologies such as Chef and Ansible.
• Develop internal standards and templates to dockerize our services and microservices. As the subject matter expert, assist the scrum teams on dockerizing components when needed.
• Drive the High Availability and Scalability strategy and design for our enterprise solution.
• Manages key deliverables and mentors junior team members
• Contributes in driving initiatives such as defining standards and processes to ensure quality
• Demonstrates expert knowledge in Linux Configuration, Administration, Scripting and Containerized infrastructures
• Current on latest Linux virtualization and deployment techniques and methodologies and promotes across the team.
• Works with developers and stakeholders to deliver quality software environments for the Mobile Digital Health Platform
• Partners with and provides direction to fellow team members to diagnose bugs and formulate solutions
• Uses industry best practices to improve Virtualization processes
• Works cross functionally with other business departments to align activities and deliverables
• Develops and enhances the test infrastructure and continuous integration framework used across teams
• Aware of and complies with the GE Healthcare Quality Manual, Quality Management System, Quality Management Policy, Quality Goals, and applicable laws and regulations as they apply.
Qualifications/Requirements: • Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science or related computer degree
• Minimum of 8 years of experience in Linux configuration and environment administration (KVM).
• Ability to troubleshoot network, virtual machine, hypervisors, and system issues that could be due to hardware, software or network faults.
• Good analytic and problem solving skills.
• Working experience with Docker container infrastructures
• Experience with Scripting (Bash, Python, Perl, and/or Ruby)
• Effective oral and written communication skills.
U.S. (Country) Specific Qualifications:
• Must be legally authorized to work in the United States full-time
• Must be willing to work in our Milwaukee, WI facility full-time
• Must submit application for employment through gecareers.com (or COS if internal).
• Must be 18 years of age or older
• Must be willing to take a drug test as part of the selection process
• Must be willing to submit to a background investigation, including for example, verification of your past employment, criminal history, and educational background
Desired Characteristics: • Working knowledge of Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) – OpenStack
• Working knowledge of Platforming as a Service (PaaS) and/or Fog technologies
• Experience with Kubernetes, Openshift
• Demonstrated experience with Data Center configuration management tools (Chef, Ansible, Puppet)
• Experience in Scalability/High Availability strategies for Java Services & Microservices
• Demonstrated effective problem solving capabilities
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively within and across various teams
• Experience in Continuous Integration/Testing (TeamCity, Jenkins)
• Experience with Build Tools (Maven, Gradle, *make)
• Strategic planner and thinker with ability to drive change
• Self-starter, energizing, results-oriented, and able to multi-task; tenacious and organized
• Demonstrated ability to make recommendations to technical and program leadership to improve the product, process or technology
• Outstanding communication, facilitation and influencing skills; ability to present ideas clearly and concisely
• Experience working with medical devices or in a regulated industry
“Nice to Have” previous work experience with:
Software defined networks
Load Balancing o Hardware specs (compute/storage/network)
SAN/NAS configuration & administration o Distributed Logging (syslog)
NTP, DHCP, DNS configuration & administration
Distributed System Management (Nagios, Elastic Stack/ELK)
We are in the process of transitioning to an improved job application system and in the interim we are operating with two systems. Have your Job ID ready (from the email you received when you applied) to log in and check your application status.
Click the appropriate button. If you don't know your job ID, you can still check your status: use both buttons.