Sr. Software Engineer - Linux Platforms (Application Svcs)
Posted 12/10/2016 8:40:06 PM
Business Segment: Healthcare Life Care Solutions
Location(s): United States; Wisconsin; Milwaukee
About Us: At GE Healthcare, we transform the way healthcare is delivered to patients globally. We are creating technology and solutions to enable social, mobile, and analytical and cloud capabilities for the Industrial Internet. The Industrial Internet is an open, global network that connects people, data and machines. It’s about making infrastructure more intelligent and advancing the industries critical to the world we live in. At GE, we believe it’s about the future of industry—energy, healthcare, transportation, manufacturing. It’s about making the world work better.
Not just imagining. Doing.
GE is the world’s Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
GE works on things that matter. The best people and the best technologies taking on the toughest challenges. GE operates in 160 countries and employs more than 300,000 people worldwide, finding solutions in energy, health and home, transportation and finance to build, power, move and cure the world. GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation.
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Role Summary: Join a dynamic team that’s using Agile to develop the next generation of mobile patient monitors & cloud-based networks. As a Staff Platform Services Engineer, you’ll be working on a state of the art platform that provides clinical intelligence at the point of need for caregivers. We’re developing a first of its kind hospital wide solution. Be part of a team that’s redefining the patient monitoring portfolio: mobile, cableless, cloud enabled.
Essential Responsibilities: • Drive the selection and/or creation of foundational services to be used in a private OpenStack deployment.
•Drive the configuration and administration strategy and design for both Host and Guest Operating Systems.
• Collaborate with OpenStack and Linux vendors to identify, track, and solve issues.
• Collaborate to drive the selection and configuration of server, storage, and switch hardware.
• Ensure compliance with commercial and open source licenses used in our product
• Owns software defined services and networking development process(es) for large and complex releases of a product and at times expands the scope across multiple concurrent releases. Focuses on scale and efficiency
• Manages key deliverables and mentors junior team members
• Contributes in driving initiatives such as defining standards and processes to ensure quality
• Demonstrates expert knowledge in Linux Configuration, Administration, Scripting and Distributed Logging
• Works with developers and stakeholders to deliver quality software/environments for the MDH Platform
• Partners with and provides direction to fellow team members to diagnose bugs and formulate solutions
• Works cross functionally with other business departments to align activities and deliverables
• Develops and enhances the test infrastructure and continuous integration framework used across teams
• Aware of and complies with the GEHC Quality Manual, Quality Management System, Quality Management Policy, Quality Goals, and applicable laws and regulations as they apply.
Qualifications/Requirements: • Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science or related computer degree or comparable related work experience.
• Minimum of 8 years’ experience in Linux configuration & environment administration
• Ability to troubleshoot network, virtual machine, and build system issues that could be due to hardware, software or network faults.
• Good analytic and problem solving skills.
• Experience with Scripting (Bash, Python, Perl, and/or Ruby)
• Distributed Logging (syslog)
U.S. (Country) Specific Qualifications:
• Must be legally authorized to work in the United States full-time
• Must be willing to work in our Milwaukee, WI facility full-time
• Must submit application for employment through gecareers.com (or COS if internal).
• Must be 18 years of age or older
• Must be willing to take a drug test as part of the selection process
• Must be willing to submit to a background investigation, including for example, verification of your past employment, criminal history, and educational background
Desired Characteristics: • Working knowledge of Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) – OpenStack
• Working knowledge of Platforming as a Service (PaaS) and/or Fog technologies
• Experience with Software Defined Networking
• Experience with Load Balancing
• Experience with Hardware specs (compute/storage/network)
• Experience with NTP, DHCP, DNS configuration & administration
• Experience with Distributed System Management (Nagios, Elastic Stack/ELK)
• Experience with Licensing solutions in a distributed environment
• Demonstrated effective problem solving capabilities
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively within and across various teams
• Experience in Continuous Integration/Testing (TeamCity, Jenkins)
• Experience with Build Tools (Maven, Gradle, *make)
• Strategic planner and thinker with ability to drive change
• Self-starter, energizing, results-oriented, and able to multi-task; tenacious and organized
• Demonstrated ability to make recommendations to technical and program leadership to improve the product, process or technology
• Outstanding communication, facilitation and influencing skills; ability to present ideas clearly and concisely
• Experience working with medical devices or in a regulated industry
“Nice to Have” Qualifications:
o Experience with Kubernetes, Openshift
o Demonstrated experience with Data Center configuration management tools (Chef, Ansible, Puppet)
o Experience in Scalability/High Availability strategies for Java Services and Microservices
We are in the process of transitioning to an improved job application system and in the interim we are operating with two systems. Have your Job ID ready (from the email you received when you applied) to log in and check your application status.
Click the appropriate button. If you don't know your job ID, you can still check your status: use both buttons.