About Us: GE Power & Water provides customers with a broad array of power generation, energy delivery and water process technologies to solve their challenges locally. Power & Water works in all areas of the energy industry including renewable resources such as wind and solar; biogas and alternative fuels; and coal, oil, natural gas and nuclear energy. The business also develops advanced technologies to help solve the world’s most complex challenges related to water availability and quality. Numerous products are qualified under ecomagination, GE’s commitment to providing innovative solutions that maximize resources, drive efficiencies and help make the world work better. At GE, developing people is embedded in our culture and integral to our growth. Headquartered in Schenectady, N.Y., Power & Water is GE’s largest industrial business. Follow GE Power & Water on Twitter @GE_PowerWater.
GE is an equal opportunity employer, offering a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, professional training and competitive compensation.
Role Summary: The Product Application Engineer – Production Chemicals will demonstrate accountability for functional, business, and broad company objectives. In this role, you will Integrate and develop processes that meet business needs across the organization. This role contributes to the overall Upstream CMS strategy, manages complex issues within functional areas area of expertise and adapts well to tense critical situations.
Work location could be flexible across Europe.
• Act as a technical expert in Production Chemistry for oil & gas production, processing, pipeline, receiving terminals and similar E&P facilities. This may include onshore, offshore and facilities in challenging environments, remote locations, areas of political instability and security risk.
• Demonstrate deep domain knowledge in at least two and preferably all of the major Production Chemistry applications. Preferable specialties are Emulsion Breaking and Flow Assurance.
• Be capable of shaping the direction of the product line by providing frequent impactful insights, ideas, suggestions, and commentary
• Employ engineering and statistical skills to conduct troubleshooting and offer data driven solutions to Production Chemistry related Production, Asset Integrity and Flow Assurance problems • Perform technical audits and provide treatment recommendations in support of existing applications and new business opportunities (this includes working with the commercial team in responding to RFQ’s and optimizing treatment programs)
• Use extensive Production Chemical experience to solve tough technical problems at customer sites
• Attend high-level customer meetings and present appropriate technical information to operations, engineering, and plant management (able to interface with customers at the highest technical levels to affect their buying decisions)
• Be recognized by product line peers and the Commercial team as one of the top technical experts in the product line
• Identify and accurately assess market niches, technology trends, competitive products, and own / drive practical responses to these (work with Product Management to develop and execute an appropriate action plan)
• Drive new product initiatives (NPI’s) and direct material productivity improvements (DMP) when requested
• Conduct regular and advanced technical training sessions with the commercial team to ensure competency
• Conduct training sessions at customer sites with plant engineering and management (viewed as an experienced and highly effective technical trainer)
• Create technical content for reference manuals, customer manuals, marketing collateral, case histories, product fact sheets, and industry playbooks
• Work closely with Product Management, Technology, Commercial teams, customers, and industry contacts to evaluate, support and drive new business initiatives
• Participate in industry technical committee meetings to properly represent GE’s position and be recognized by industry peers as a Production Chemistry expert
• Stay on top of industry trends, new chemical treatment technology, water treatment equipment, dosing equipment, software and digital platforms relevant to Production Chemistry.
• Participate in cross-functional teams to evaluate new technology
• Communicate GE technical accomplishments and knowledge through internal and external publications, conferences, and presentations
• Demonstrate professional technical writing-and independently compose documents
• Present investigative / troubleshooting findings in professional written format. Provide coherent oral presentation to middle and senior customer operating staff.
• Demonstrate cause and effect via statistical analysis
• Design and monitor plant trials/experiments to optimize system performance and manage teams remotely, directing local on-site personnel who are responsible for specific information gathering
• Understand and define chemical and mechanical impacts as they affect entire oil and gas production process and create customer-facing technical marketing literature to explain GE Water advantages over competitors
Qualifications/Requirements: • Bachelor's Degree in Chemical Engineering, O&G Engineering, Subsea Engineering, Chemistry, science discipline or related technical discipline (or a High School Diploma / GED with significant engineering, scientific or technical experience)
• Strong experience in a Production Chemistry
• This role requires extensive international travel which may include transport by helicopter, supply boats and private fixed wing aircraft. You may be required to work on floating and fixed oil platforms and in remote onshore locations. Candidates should be aware of the physical demands of these environments and be able to safely complete the required emergency evacuation and survival training (OPITO).
• In this role, you should be comfortable working within operating deadlines and communicate clearly, concisely, to all customer levels and functions.
• Be able to influence the decisions and direction of senior management and technical personnel (within and outside GE) through executive presence, speaking, presentation, and analytical skills
Desired Characteristics: • Be a confident public speaker for both large and smaller groups with the ability to tailor a presentation to fit the audience
• Expertise and practical experience of Emulsion Breaker (EB) bottle testing, use of EB test kit and EB product formulation.
• Strong oral communication skills in English (comfortable developing and delivering high level technical presentations to senior leaders at customer sites and within GE) Second language ideally Russian
• Superior written communication skills (capable of writing technical documents and clearly conveying complex technical issues in a written format)
• Very strong organizational, interpersonal, and leadership skills
• Capable of handling multiple projects in a fast paced environment and prioritizing to meet business objectives
• Self-starter that can accept broad based assignments and work with minimal direction from manager
• Demonstrates listening, questioning, clarifying & summarizing skills to effectively communicate in 1-on-1 and small group settings
• Experience publishing technical papers and presenting at industry trade shows and conferences
We are in the process of transitioning to an improved job application system and in the interim we are operating with two systems. Have your Job ID ready (from the email you received when you applied) to log in and check your application status.
Click the appropriate button. If you don't know your job ID, you can still check your status: use both buttons.