About Us: GE is the world's Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
At GE Transportation, we move the world. We are a global digital industrial leader and supplier to the rail, mining, marine, stationary power and drilling industries. Our solutions help customers deliver goods and services with greater speed and greater savings using our advanced manufacturing techniques, industry expertise and connected machines. Established more than a century ago, GE Transportation is a division of GE that began as a pioneer in passenger and freight locomotives. That innovative spirit About Us – Job 14 Wednesday, December 07, 2016 still drives GE Transportation today. It's the engine of change that puts us at the forefront of transportation technology, software, and analytics. And it's why we continue to find-and realize-the potential that keeps our connected world moving forward. The GE Transportation Global Headquarters is located in Chicago, Illinois. There are over 65 service sites worldwide.
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Role Summary: The Lead Technical Specialist utilizes strong electrical, electronics, communications, and control system knowledge to advise their work group in resolving issues impacting the availability and reliability of the product. They help ensure product performance through successful program deployment, consistent monitoring of metrics and utilize strong organizational skills to ensure repairs are made and objectives are met.
Essential Responsibilities: Immediate action with hands-on work and strategic planning for sustained performance are both essential components of the role. Ideal candidates will have strong commercial acumen to drive financial performance, continuous improvement and demonstrate a service to sales mindset to further expand customer relationships and increased revenues.
In Addition you will:
• Coordinate and manage the deployment of projects and programs
• Responsible for financial performance, reporting and tracking of programs and projects
• Drive continuous improvement activities in their environment for both internal and external processes
• Ability to build and develop strong relationships with external and internal customers
• Provide technical instruction and assistance to customers regarding installation, operation, calibration, repair and maintenance over the phone and at customer’s sites for a wide range of equipment vintages
• Respond to requests for emergency repairs and services to troublesome equipment
• Perform administrative functions; such as writing technical reports, preparing job status reports, reports to customers, securing quotations, time sheet and expense reports on a complete timely, and thorough basis
• Plan, prepare and/or instruct both internal and external training programs as required, to impart and perpetuate product knowledge in area of specialization
• Build and maintain reliable reporting and tracking systems to utilize field data and ensure availability and reliability of the product is sustained
• Interface with engineering for purposes of evaluating and improving product lines
• Design and build various test fixtures into meet the demands of the department
• Perform repairs to board level using various test fixtures, test equipment, and tools on products using test procedures for validation
• Perform on-site installation of systems and equipment and ongoing preventive maintenance, repair and calibration after installation)
• Maintain knowledge of applicable product line warranties, and accomplish effective warranty administration
• Maintain knowledge of the ticket system to the extent required for timely and accurate input of customer call information
• Provide leadership and technical direction to skilled labor performing work on customer sites
• Perform all work to technical requirements in accordance with GE safety standards
• Develop and expand technical knowledge and expertise per recognized industry standards
• Develop knowledge to troubleshoot a wide range of vintage/legacy equipment
Qualifications/Requirements: • Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university or
• 2 year degree from a technical institution with at least 4 years’ experience in the RR or associated field; or
• High school diploma/GED 10+ railroad experience or
• High school diploma/GED 15+ years of military experience (in a basic electronics field)
• Willingness and ability to travel 50% of the time
• Must have a valid driver’s license and passport
• Willingness to participate in on call rotation
• Physical requirements – must be able to lift 50 lbs, walk a mile, climb stairs, squat
• Willingness to work outside, in all weather conditions
• Willingness to work on weekends, some holidays and various shifts based on business needs
• Communications networking background
• Strong business and commercial acumen
• Strong organizational skills
• Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision
• Strong customer service mindset
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Strong interpersonal and leadership skills
• Prior field engineering experience is preferred
• Strong project management skills
• Prior project management experience is preferred
• Prior electronics repair experience is preferred
• Prior experience analyzing data driving recommended changes
• Knowledge of Rail Road industry products a plus
• Certification and experience using ITIL methodology
• Lean Six Sigma experience a plus
• FEP program graduate is preferred (internal GE employees only)
We are in the process of transitioning to an improved job application system and in the interim we are operating with two systems. Have your Job ID ready (from the email you received when you applied) to log in and check your application status.
Click the appropriate button. If you don't know your job ID, you can still check your status: use both buttons.