Business Segment: Digital Predix Products & Technology
Location(s): Canada ; British Columbia; Burnaby
About Us: GE is the world's Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
Role Summary: GE Digital is looking for an experienced Software Engineer to work on a number of exciting projects that will have a very positive impact on GE’s business.
Responsible for programing a feature and or a small feature set. Contributes to the team and works with direction from Senior Team Members or management, beginning to work independently.
Essential Responsibilities: You will be responsible for programing a feature and or a small feature set. You will contribute to the team and works with direction from the Senior Team Members or management but works independently.
In this role you will:
• Act as a member of the Software Center of Excellence, representing the face of high quality design and development practices • Develop high performing, scaling and innovative end-to-end web applications • Collaborate with system engineers, frontend developers and software developers to implement solutions that are aligned with and extend shared platforms and solutions • Apply principles of SDLC and methodologies like Lean/Agile/XP, CI, Software and Product Security, Scalability, Documentation Practices, refactoring and Testing Techniques • Writes codes that meets standards and delivers desired functionality using the technology selected for the project • Build features such as web services and Queries on existing tables • Understand performance parameters and assess application performance • Work on core data structures and algorithms and implement them using language of choice
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or in “STEM” Majors (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) • A minimum of 2 years of professional experience
• Legal authorization to work Canada is required. GE may agree to sponsor an individual for an employment visa now or in the future if there is a shortage of individuals with particular skills. • Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation • Must be willing to work out of an office located in Burnaby, BC
Desired Characteristics: Technical Expertise:
• Experience with Java • Experience with a Linux Development Environment • Familiarity of XML, XSL, XPath • Familiarity with HTML, JS, CSS • Understanding of Search technologies, such as Apache Lucene • Understanding of NoSQL & Big Data Technologies • Experience with Git
• Have a solid understanding of the underlying infrastructure needed to run a large distributed web application • Has the ability to break down problems and estimate time for development tasks • Has the ability to make basic technology choices based on experience • Demonstrates awareness about competitors and industry
• Has the ability to take ownership of small tasks and deliver without supervision while using their discretion to seek help when necessary • Voices opinions and presents clear rationale. Uses data or factual evidence to influence • Recognizes collaborative behavior and participates in collaborative activities • Learns organization vision statement and decision making framework. Able to understand how team and personal goals/objectives contribute to the organization vision
• Demonstrate the ability to help team members • Seeks to understand problems thoroughly before implementing solutions. Asks questions to clarify requirements when ambiguities are present • Identifies opportunities for innovation and offers new ideas. Takes the initiative to experiment with new software frameworks • Adapts to new environments and changing requirements. Pivots quickly as needed. When coached, responds to need & seeks info from other sources
We are in the process of transitioning to an improved job application system and in the interim we are operating with two systems. Have your Job ID ready (from the email you received when you applied) to log in and check your application status.
Click the appropriate button. If you don't know your job ID, you can still check your status: use both buttons.